A new Vehicular Repeater System for ASTRO Spectras.

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Zoso

Post by Zoso »

Check this out: http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe ... Z492FT4849

Here is some info from the User Manual:

Description -

The ASTRO Spectra compatible Vehicular Repeater System - Model 750 (VRS750) is a
mobile radio system component that provides on-site repeater capability between a
portable radio and a base station. The VRS gives the portable user the equivalent range of a mobile radio with the flexibility of a portable. The VRS is not an ASTRO-capable radio; instead, it is designed to interface with an ASTRO Spectra mobile radio. It can
only transmit and receive clear analog transmissions.

The VRS receives transmissions on the portable radio's transmit frequency with the
proper access PL, and passes these portable signals to the mobile radio. The mobile radio
re-transmits the signals to the base station on the mobile radio's transmit frequency.

NOTE: These transmissions have the mobile's ID, not the portable's. Similarly, base station signals received by the mobile radio are sent to the VRS and re-transmitted to the portable radio. The VRS does not provide local repeater capability (received portable signals are not repeated on the portable receive frequency).

The VRS-to-portable and portable-to-VRS communications are limited to clear analog
only. This is a simplex-only interface; the VRS cannot receive and transmit simultaneously. The base station-to-mobile and mobile-to-base communications protocol is not limited to analog only. Rather, this interface is limited by the features and functions of the ASTRO Spectra and the base.

I want one.

Tony
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks Zoso your a mind reader!

I was just about to start a search for some more info on the VRS, I posted a few questions some time ago but nobody had any info..
RFdude

Post by RFdude »

Check out http://www.futurecom.com for a full featured VR. Select Vehicular Repeater from their menu.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

it's a freaking JEDI RF Board and a couple of jumpers....

and i bet it costs $2000.

d
Nick

Post by Nick »

On 2002-01-16 21:29, batdude wrote:
it's a freaking JEDI RF Board and a couple of jumpers....

d
It's a *BIG* step from the Expo based VRS :wink:
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

I still prefer the simple old but trusty (if you're NOT using it at an emergency services scene)PAC_RT!!!
pforbes

Post by pforbes »

The latest incarnation of the PAC-RT is the VRS750 and it is compatible only with the Spectra & XTL5k units and Siren/PA as well. That's due to the necessity of plugging into that control head acc connector. It will do EVERYTHING the PAC did with an added plus, it will switch channels on the mated mobile from PLs on the walkie. The PAC couldn't do that trick.
Patrick
Conundrum

Post by Conundrum »

RFdude wrote:Check out http://www.futurecom.com for a full featured VR. Select Vehicular Repeater from their menu.
I have played around with a Futurcom and they are nice VRS... they have a lot of good features, and it is controlled through the astro spectra control head
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

batdude wrote:it's a freaking JEDI RF Board and a couple of jumpers....

d
Wrong!

More like an HT750, I have nothing against them either.

-Josh
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Conundrum wrote:
RFdude wrote:Check out http://www.futurecom.com for a full featured VR. Select Vehicular Repeater from their menu.
I have played around with a Futurcom and they are nice VRS... they have a lot of good features, and it is controlled through the astro spectra control head
What about conventional Spectra?
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
jim

Post by jim »

On the VRS750, if you need the portable's ID to transmit, simply reprogam another mobile channel with identical frequency, but with no ID. Have the VRS steer to this channel when using the portable and have the portable generate a post-id MDC with proper VRS channel PL.

Also, the VRS750 will work on the Spectra/XTL without a siren deck. You must order a seperate cable for this as it does not come with the unit.
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

what is needed to program these? we just got a pair of VHFs in.
d119

Post by d119 »

Ummm.... Hasn't this capability existed for quite some time in the form of the Pyramid SVR200?

This MOBEXCOM II thing seems awfully oversized and proprietary compared to a Pyramid...
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

The size of the VRS750 appears to be the same size as the MCS2000 mobile radio, sans head of course.

It sure beats the hell out of the PAC-RT in terms of size, but definitly not in terms of versatility, the PAC-RT is compatible with just about everything.

-Josh
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

got em programmed thru the astro25 CPS... they work pretty good for what we are using them for.
dbusse
What radios do you own?: XTL, XTS, Saber, Spectra, MTS2

Re: A new Vehicular Repeater System for ASTRO Spectras.

Post by dbusse »

So, after reading this old thread, does anyone know if the VRS750 will work with the XTL2500 and the XTL5000 platform in current production?

I sure don't have the space nor the budget for the Futurecom unit.

Dan
ar-50
New User

Re: A new Vehicular Repeater System for ASTRO Spectras.

Post by ar-50 »

dbusse wrote:So, after reading this old thread, does anyone know if the VRS750 will work with the XTL2500 and the XTL5000 platform in current production?

I sure don't have the space nor the budget for the Futurecom unit.

Dan
I would like to know this as well since I have several of them in stock.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”