Tones set off strobes in a garage

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mavericknet
What radios do you own?: HT1250 VHF, CDM1550 UHF

Tones set off strobes in a garage

Post by mavericknet »

Hello all, I would like to know the best method, idea, plans, schematics, idiot diagrams for having strobes go off in a garage/hallway when I set of QCII Tones go over a UHF freq, I'd also like the strobes to auto reset within 30 seconds or so.
perthcom

Post by perthcom »

Hi
A Motorola M208/216 or GM300 can decode the QCII, or if you have a radio in place, a SelecTone decoder can be used.

Use the decoded output to trip a one-shot timer (available from any electrical distributor, Omron etc.) to set your 30 second alarm time.

You could also get fancy by using a Programmable Logic Controller to operate the alarms, open overhead doors, unlock doors etc.

8)
KennB

Post by KennB »

There is a Minitor 4 charger stand available that has a relay output on it. The pager can be programmed to auto reset. Great for setting off sirens.
kd6kml

Plectron

Post by kd6kml »

We used Plectron receivers, the old ones that had the carry handle. The "Chief" model, I believe, had a relay closure. This activated a delay relay to run the sirens.

These units, when set up for 2+2 format will work for QCII if you put 2 reeds of the same freq in for each chord. That worked will for me, and saved a little money when we got rid of 2+2.

J
Will

Post by Will »

J, you would have to remind me of the old Plectrons!!!!
W4WTF
was KF4PEP

Post by W4WTF »

Get a minitor II set up for your freq and tones (or a Minitor I will work), Go on Ebay and find an amplified charger. These have an alarm function that senses the alert voltage on the output on the bottom of the pager and sets off a louder alarm. Simply run your control off this relay to your strobe control.

Should be able to set it up pretty cheap, especially if you can find a free pager already set up for your needs.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

KF4PEP wrote:Get a minitor II set up for your freq and tones (or a Minitor I will work), Go on Ebay and find an amplified charger. These have an alarm function that senses the alert voltage on the output on the bottom of the pager and sets off a louder alarm. Simply run your control off this relay to your strobe control.

Should be able to set it up pretty cheap, especially if you can find a free pager already set up for your needs.

Not exactly. All that thing does is make the pager audio louder. It doesn't have it's own alarm.

Some of these chargers have dry relay contacts to hook your own EXTERNAL alarm up to which is what he would need. I suppose you could tear it open and wire your own relay onto the "alert" LED as well.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

You could make friends with one of the local paging companies. They probably have some old UHF pagers around some place. Change the crystal and then set up an encoder to use the reed codes.

I May have some UHF pagers un the junk box out in the garage. Will have to go look and see if there are any. I know most of them are VHF.

Have a ton of the reeds that go in the older Motorla pagers.

Jim

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”