MSF5000 question - shipping

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

MSF5000 question - shipping

Post by Jay G. »

Hello all. HELP! Anyone have any ideas on the approximate shipping weight of a MSF5000 VHF 110watt unit??

Thanks!
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth.
The whole station is about 150 lbs, the PA, and power supply are 50 lbs each.
It may be easier to ship in 3 peices.
This is how I take them to remote sites in the helicopter.
Aloha, Bernie
Big Towers
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Towers »

Mine weighed in at 170 pounds but that included the pallot and coverings used in the shipment!
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

Tom, What did your shipping cost? I just made a deal on 2 MSF UHF and wanted an idea of cost.
Big Towers
Batboard $upporter

Post by Big Towers »

Bob,

Well, there is a sad, but happy ending story on mine. It was shipped from Denver via FedEX Freight as that was the only real choice for Montana. However, they had a 4 day money back gaurantee. It was picked up September 30th, Lost on October 1st, found on October 6th, delivered on October 10th. So, in the happiest of circumstance, it was FREE.

But, it was quoted at almost $300 on the phone, but, at time of pickup, it was marked at about $150. FedEx freight IS NOT FedEx express in any sense of the word. I knew when they had to make a transfer from them to a local outfit in Salt Lake that I was all but assured that I wouldn't have to pay, but I didn't think it would get lost in the Denver FedEx warehouse the day they picked it up.

I think it will all depend on what kind of trucking you have available to you from the point of pickup as well. Hope you find a good provider. Someone suggested a freight "Expeditor" who knows all the routes and costs and can get you the nest deal.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

my opinions...

Post by batdude »

trucking for LTL (less than truckLoad) can vary immensely.

i personally have found that http://www.freightpro.com offers the best deal... they fall into the "expediter" category - and will use the company with the best rate.

their web based pages are good - and they bill directly to your credit card.

i have used both USF (us freightways) and Roadway here locally in north florida and have found all of them helpful and friendly -

here are some shipping weights and costs for comparisons:

3 MSF 5000 repeaters Norfolk, Va to Jacksonville, Fl = $180

8 (yea!) MSF 5000 repeaters LA to Jacksonville, Fl = $480

1 Quantar repeater in cabinet Dallas to Jacksonville, Fl = $80

all in all, not too bad.... palletizing and banding with some firm supports is what makes all the difference.

doug

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”