Astro Saber Reality Check

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

HumHead

Post by HumHead »

OK- So I have well and truly joined the cult of the Saber, and I don't think there's any turning back.

Unfortunately, the radio systems that I have to operate on currently include several narrow-band channels (both on and off-center spacing), and multiple MDC and QCII systems. While there's nothing digital in my life (yet...) everything else seems to be pushing me towards saving my pennies for the VHF Astro Saber 3.

With that in mind:
1) I know that the Astro can do mixed bandwidth, but does it support off-center frequencies (i.e. 155.9775, etc.)? I'm assuming that it does, but I'd hate to find out the hard way.

2) What should I be expecting to pay for a VHF AS3 with: IMBE/CAI (I know I said no digital yet, but I can see it coming), MDC1200 encode/decode w/ display, QCII encode/decode, conventional repeater access. DES-XL (non-OTR) would be nice too, but is not mandatory if it would drive the price up signifcantly. I saw something resembling my dream radio go by on eBay with a Buy-It-Now of $1,500, but I also saw one today with a real shortage of information go for only $500 with a speaker mic. What's realistic?

Thanks!!
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

All Astros can handle 'splinter channels', like you presumably need.

As for value, 1500 would be in line for one that has a good set of features and is fully IMBE/CAI compatible. A very basic I model might be worth maybe 700 to 800 bucks, and a resourceful person could end up with a loaded III model for a few hundred more, making the value about equal.

Elroy
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Thanks (yet again) Elroy! :smile:
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

OK-

I've been trying to work through the flash code decoder, and I want to make sure that I'm reading the terminology correctly when figuring out what I would need.

Which options are required to support multi-system QCII (encode/decode) and multi-system MDC1200 (encode/decode) with ID display?

Which option(s) is (are) necessary to be able to communicate with a DES-XL equiped radio? ( I know I need the module)?

If a radio has neither IMBE / CAI or the "Astro Ready" no digitial option, what are its digital capabilities?

The Batlabs Intro page indicates that Flash upgrades are essentially unavailable to the secondary market. Does this mean that I would having trouble getting my friendly local dealer (and they are truly friendly!) to obtain a flash upgrade for me, or only that I would be hard pressed to get it directly from //?

Also, I assume that a flash upgrade would add features to the existing flash code, not replace the existing set.

Finally, what exactly is the "Astro Data" opton?

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”