Quantar terminal commands

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hackX

Quantar terminal commands

Post by hackX »

Does anybody have a list of commands for Quantars or quantros so when you hook up to the DB9 connector on the SCM you can bring up PCPLUS or Hyperterm. I will give an example:

I can bring up pcplus while hooked to the quantar,

I type the command dorss and it brings me to a
RSS> prompt

I can then type get bpn and it spits out the back plane ID.

I was wondering if someone had a list of all the commands or other commands that you can pull diags and other stuff through pcplus.

I would appreciate any help or direction on this.

I know I can do all of this through the RSS but I am working on something and I need these commands. It is not feasible to do it through RSS.

Thanks in advance for any help.

HackX
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

All of this, and much more, is available in the Quantar RSS. You MUST have the RSS to make the Quantar "play"anyway. So, why not just use the RSS?! Keep in mind that you can use all of the RSS features remotely, by simply having a modem at the site. This way, you can Float/Equalize the batteries, and do all sorts of other remote tricks. And, you don't need CloseUp, or any other sort of remote PC program, to do this. You simply need to dial up the modem at the Quantar site, and away you go. BTW, the Quant RSS will be converted during 2Q04 into CPS (along with the DIU software). The good thing here is that you will no longer need DOS to make your Quantar and DIU play. You will also no longer need to have a $5 eBay PC in your toolkit! Yahoooooo!

Larry
RFdude

Quantar Terminal Commands

Post by RFdude »

This brings up an interesting angle... what if one has 5 or more Quantars (aka SmartZone) at a site? What is one to do...put a modem on each? No way.

The future is IP. My sites have about 6 extra IP addressable RS232 ports available from the site alarm system. These are TELNET remote console ports that can be connected to equipment (microwave, power plant, Quantar?). The thought has come up if it would be possible to use the Quantar RSS to access a radio that exists as an IP address and port number (for instance 192.168.1.1 3001)? But the RSS has to be friendly to this else one must use third party virtual com port to redirect.... and there still might be issues with timing/latency since it is a remote site.

Perhaps the CPS will be futureproof in this way?

Any thoughts?

RFDude
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

hmmm

Post by batdude »

doesn't MOSCAD give you this?

i know that info on MOSCAD (at least to me) is scarce... like i've never even read a book on it...

but i kinda thought this was the whole purpose of why it was invented... total site monitoring...SCADA... all kinds of stuff

?

doug
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

One modem per Quantar would be needed, but only one incoming Telco line that could be remotely directed to any of the 5 modems tied to each of the individual Quants. In the past, I have seen such switching boxes at Rat Shack for a very few bucks. So this is no problem.

Let's see, a typical Quantar is around $20,000 list, so in this case we have $100,000+ invested in raw Quants (no hardline, site costs, etc. included yet). A new modem is challenged to run as slow as 9600 baud, so I suppose we'll need the 56K jobs from CompUSA, that run maybe $75 a piece? Or, how about $5 a piece off eBay?

The cost of 5 modems is, by far-and-away, the very tinyest of your costs when dealing with multiple Quantars! I doubt this is any sort of a design issue for Motorola to worry about.

Larry
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Terminal Servers are the answers to your dialin needs - however, won't allow interfacing with the RSS - unless you can fake it somehow.

Regardless, you can hook a modem up to the terminal server, dial in on one port and get something like a:

LOCAL>

Prompt. From here you can go and connect to any serial device that's connected to it. You can even give the boxes an IP address -- and make them accessable over the internet.

While this still doesn't solve the issue of the RSS being able to talk to the quantar, it would get you inexpensive access to command prompt.

-Alex
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I don't follow you, Alex. The Quantar has a special port on the SCM (near the front of the board) that is designed to be connected to an optional external modem for connection to the Quantar RSS loaded on a remote PC.

You should be able to lash up an unlimited number of modems (Quantars) to a single telco dial-up line, with a selector switch that connects the single incoming Telco line to whichever modem is necessary. Remote commands to the switch tells the switch which modem it is to connect to the Telco line.

This is why Motorola has the optional remote RSS password protection feature. For applications where the user accesses their Quantar(s) via a dial-up connection through an on-site modem for RSS commands, they are required to enter a PW before they have access to the Quant (assuming that particular Quant is equipped with the optional $200 remote PW protect feature).

I'm not sure what are you referring to in terms of "faking it?"

Larry
RFdude

Post by RFdude »

I think Alex and I are on the same wavelength. Look at my post above about IP addressibility.

"Faking it" refers to fooling the RSS to thinking it is talking to a COM port when it fact it is talking to a remote serial port attached to a SERIAL TO IP converter. These devices are the hot item these days and cost about $150 for one port versions. You can take any piece of hardware with a serial port and put it on Ethernet or IP of some sort including PPP over a fixed circuit (what I do over a microwave connection) or modem.

For instance, if you buy a PERLE terminal server, it comes with such software that you load on your computer. You can define COM4 or COM5 or COM15 to REDIRECT to IP 192.168.1.1 3001 which is where you have your ETHERNET to SERIAL converter attached to a remote piece of equipment. Other companies also offer "Virtual COM port redirector software" to fool your old program into thinking it is talking directly to a COM port.

In the simplest way, if the remote equipment provides a TTY, VT100 or any kind of TERMINAL interface, all this really is... is a TELNET session. No further trouble. You can manage that piece of equipment from 1000 miles away by TELNET. You DON'T have to be in front of it with your laptop. TROUBLE is that these days, much equipment uses cryptic or proprietary hex strings to communicate and the user has a specialized HUMAN MACHINE INTERFACE program of sorts that make the data understandable. Like the QUANTAR RSS....

Now if the programmers that made the HMI GUI had any forward looking sense (ie FUTUREPROOF), they would build into the program 1) Direct connect via COM 1 through 4. 2) Ability to use higher VIRTUAL COM ports 5 and up so that you can REDIRECT via IP, 3) MODEM and DIAL UP, and best still, 4) all the user to enter an IP address as the destination.

To use an IP address isn't all that difficult for the programmers, you need to access your computers IP Stack and sockets (ie WINSOCK I think).

And to confirm what I'm talking about, look at your HYPERTERM that comes with WINDOWS of any sort for some time now.... you can select the above methods of connectivity including an IP address... try it! Another way is within a DOS shell by typing TELNET. Everyone already has these tools. So the original post by HACKX about Quantar commands would be fully useable via TELNET.

What gives you IP connectivity? Just about everything nowadays... all digital cell phones, wireless internet (who knows, one might already be at your tower), DSL on your phone line, satellite, and even any new microwave radio you buy these days is capable of wayside Ethernet.

The only issue for companies like Motorola, is that IP connectivity (which they use to control SmartZone IR Quantars) is TOO MUCH of an enabler. It allows customers to have TOO MUCH connectivity that gets around their feature $ adders. For instance, that $200 password feature someone mentioned for Quantars. It is included at no cost in any terminal server you buy. It is called "AUTHENTICATION". In another example, Alcatel sells a KEY that unlocks REMOTE PROVISIONING on their uwave radios... their radio configuration software is not friendly to IP... and if you accomplish a work around, you can also remotely provision their radios without paying any KEY license.

So my dilema is do I pay Motorola $200 per radio + all the hassles with dial up, modems, etc... or do I buy an 8 port terminal server for a few hundred and have elegant, and easy IP based connectivity? I rather wait for an IP friendly RSS or CPS, find a workaround, or do nothing at all.

IP is the present and the foreseable future. Dial up modems are undesireable. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!

;-)

RFDude
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Virtual COM port redirector software
I figured one existed, but I never went looking for it....

I just found a Lantronix 16 port serial terminal server...mmm... serial ports.

I plan on hooking the phone system up at work so I can program it remotly, if I can only find our copy of procom plus... it uses some archane vt...

-Alex
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I agree that IP is great, when Motorola launches it in the future. In the meantime, we'll have to live with dial-up for remote RSS to the Quantar, since that's all there is. Sure, I'd like to have WINDOWS based CPS for the Quantar, yet we still only have DOS-based RSS for programming the Quantar, and here we are in 2004! Motorola sometimes moves slowly.

Yes, you can Rube Goldberg any sort of lash-up in the meantime, which is probably fine for Ham radio and hobbyist type of uses.

Larry
Ben137

Post by Ben137 »

ASTROMODAT wrote:I agree that IP is great, when Motorola launches it in the future. In the meantime, we'll have to live with dial-up for remote RSS to the Quantar, since that's all there is. Sure, I'd like to have WINDOWS based CPS for the Quantar, yet we still only have DOS-based RSS for programming the Quantar, and here we are in 2004! Motorola sometimes moves slowly.
The Intellisite repeater is already entirely IP based. There's a Windows configuration tool for it called CSS, and it works over IP as well, so you don't even have to be at the site to configure it. Unfortunately, this only works with the newer SZ6.x software, which only runs on the epic 4 control board.
radio_randy
New User

Re: Quantar terminal commands

Post by radio_randy »

Hi folks,

I've seen a couple questions concerning Quantar serial commands like <get bpn>, but never saw a definitive list on this site. Is there such a list available and where might I find it?

I had an old RSS manual, but tossed it after the program was revised about a dozen times. I guess I should have hung on to it. Also, I currently have an RSS version that I use for programming. However, when I recently did some troubleshooting with a factory tech, he had me use a terminal program to try to help track down the problem.

I would just like to know if there might be anything out there that may be of use to me in the future. Of course, if this information is Motorola's "private property", I might accept that explanation and drop the issue. Thanks in advance.

Radio Randy
firemedic

Post by firemedic »

I've used this http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html and an older IBM terminal server I picked up on ebay for next to nothing ($10.00 I think). Made a cable from the terminal server to the Quantar. Loaded the driver and forced it onto Com4 and loaded the quantar RSS in a dos box inside of win98. Connected to the quantar and could check status of alarms and such. I didn't try any programming or anything else remotely but could monitor the repeater. I've got a web based product to monitor the site now so I haven't tried the terminal server in a while. It's only 5 miles away to the site so it just seems easier to go up and check everything on site. Something to try.
Keith Dobbins N8KLD
IT Mainframe Network Engineer
W8TAP Repeater Group
Repeater Technician
Parkersburg, WV
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

All of our sites are connected by our microwave network. We just plug the serial port into a mux channel and recover it on another channel at our shop. On the RDLAP data transmitters we watch the traffic in real time.

We have a wall of old computers doing nothing but watching Quanters, voting displays, and any thing else we want such as a couple of remoted spectrum analyzers.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”