Astro Saber UHF Re-Program

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AS3 Beginner

Post by AS3 Beginner »

I got an Astro Saber III UHF form my friend but he does not interested in Radio.
My Radio information as below :
Model No. : H04SDH9PW7AN
Flash Code : 8401018F00004
Radio Code Plug : 000C
Software Option : H35
Serial No. : xxxxxxxxxx (edited out by Elroy)

Could I use RSS 09.01 to re-program all frequency ?
What is the Frequency Range of this Radio ?
Could I program between 430Mhz to 439Mhz ?
Does any one teach me how ? because I found out there is a lot of frequency program insiade but I will not use them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elroy Jetson on 2002-02-02 00:00 ]</font>
junkyardnut

Post by junkyardnut »

RSS 9 should work. Try reading it. If it is incompatible, then RSS will tell you. Reading the radio will not hurt it.

The freq range is 450-512. However it is possible to out of band program it to 430. But you'll need a hacked version of the astrop.odb file in your RSS directory. I believe these are a lot harder to hack than in RSS 9 than in RSS 8. Once you program the radio using RSS 9, you cannot move to RSS 8, so out of band programming may be out of the question. However if you use CPS, I believe, it lets you out of band program the codeplug, but I don't know whether it will go down to 430. If 430-439 is what you really need, I'm sure you can find someone to trade you a radio model numner H04RDH9PW7AN. These are rated from 403-470.
AS3 Beginner

Post by AS3 Beginner »

Thank you very much your information.
I have no RSS08 version so I only have RSS09.
There is a function in the RSS [Upgrade Radio Codeplug] but I am not sure what will happens so I have not doing upgrade.
I modified a channel to 450Mhz and I test it works(TX/RX).
The next step that I want to try is use HEX software to hack the RSS09 from 450Mhz-512Mhz to 430Mhz. I also read the astrop.odb file I found out the frequency range from VHF to UHF and 800Mhz I think they are let the user to choose the Radio Model then the RSS will tell what abnd split in the Radio has.
If I make a copy of the original ODB file and save the codeplug data then hack the Band Split could I save the original ODB data into the radio again when some problem occurs.

Best Regards,

>>welcom other expert to tech me
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

Serial # xxxxxxxxxx >>?? (edited out by Elroy)

Seems to me if I recall right, and I just checked my old DOS Depot RSS and I have a few different codeplugs with that s/n in it.

The codeplugs were all ones I received from people over the years in swaps, etc..
I keep them in a seperate directory.

Just wanted to let you know that the radio is possibly been messed with, or hacked if you will.... Open the radio and check the s/n and compare to the tag & the rss.

Good luck with the radio my friend.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elroy Jetson on 2002-02-02 00:00 ]</font>
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

I would be VERY cafeful in doing such as you're likely to make a very useless paperweight......

Read up on hacking to out of band and if you want to get to 438-440 area then the CPS would be your best bet as I have got them down to that area. RX is a bit less than normal specs but still neg.

good luck and by ALL means, make b/u of ALL your c/p on floppy and keep somewhere where you will NOT mistake it for a blank disk, etc..
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

First rule: NEVER post your serial number.

I have also seen radios with that serial number. More than one, actually. Oops.

Second rule: Refer to first rule.

As a result, I have edited your posts to remove that serial number. For your own benefit, and the benefit of others. Tampering with serial numbers may be a more serious offense than hacking the radio.

That's the infamous LAPD flashcode. A fairly sure indicator of a hacked radio. Don't send it to the depot or you may not get it back, and if you do, it'll come back as a conventional only radio with no features.

It would be advisable to find another codeplug from a radio that doesn't have a 'sore thumb' flashcode and transfer it via lab. If you don't know how, look around the files at batlabs. It's there.

Elroy

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elroy Jetson on 2002-02-02 00:01 ]</font>
AS3 Beginner

Post by AS3 Beginner »

First of all, Thank you very much Elroy Jetson modified my message cause of my foolish.
Second, I have already modified my ODB file down from 430Mhz. I have not use another Code plug just only change the 450 to 430.
It seems works because I can received signal from my another UHF Radio and Astro Saber III.
Many thanks everybody value information.

AS3 Beginner
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

You're welcome. And incidentally, I have yet to encounter a 450-520 Astro Saber that WOULDN'T take frequencies down to 430 MHz or even a bit lower. They should go UP to about 535 as well, which opens up the possibility of using a few very private channels that people don't think to scan in.
Just be sure that there's not an active TV channel (I think it's channel 14 UHF) in use in the area, or it may interfere. At your own risk, of course...you probably aren't licensed for those channels.

If the law is broken and nobody notices, does it make a sound?

If a man is saying something alone in the middle of the deep woods and there's no woman around to correct him, is he still wrong? :smile:

Elroy

Elroy
Chris

Post by Chris »

I can usually get that radio series to rx down to 421 and tx to approx 430-432 (with some tx power dropoff).
AS3 Beginner

Post by AS3 Beginner »

Normally, I only use between 430mhz to 440mhz. I know there is a lot of radio can satify me however, I am interested in MOT it's cool.

AS3 Beginner

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”