Dual band antenna VHF, VHF-Lo

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mavericknet
What radios do you own?: HT1250 VHF, CDM1550 UHF

Dual band antenna VHF, VHF-Lo

Post by mavericknet »

Hello again,

Is there a base antenna for the following setup, I have 1 LMR-400 cable, and 1 place to mount and antenna that needs to cover ~150-157MHz and 46-47MHz. Anything out there that would do what I need it to do. I assume some type of other equipment might be necessary too.
JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

I don't know of any commercial dual VHF low band/high band base antennas. Diamond makes a hamateur 6m/2m/70cm base antenna; model number V2000A. If this is for a receive-only application then you can use a receive-only antenna.

If you need tx/rx, then you're gonna need to put up another antenna probably.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
k4wtf
Batboard $upporter

Post by k4wtf »

I have one of the Diamond 70cm/2m/6m antennas. It works fairly well. If you're wanting to only use one antenna, it would probably work OK for you.

John
Check out The New and Improved Bat Lounge

http://www.batlounge.us
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

Use one feed line and two antennas

http://www.cometantenna.com/content.php ... page_id=68

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at the CF-530

One at the top of the tower to split the feed line to the two antennas and one at the bottom to combine the two radios on to the feed line.
JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

I was going to suggest a crossband coupler; basically what you suggested. But, the rub here is that he can only have one antenna.

Jeff
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

I see where he says one slot now. He will still need one at the bottom.
mavericknet
What radios do you own?: HT1250 VHF, CDM1550 UHF

Two antennas are workable.

Post by mavericknet »

I can mount two antennas, but there would only be about a five foot HORIZONTAL distance between the antenas, would this be a problem?
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

You could use a discone antenna, the right one would start at your lowband freq with no gain(as with most lowband antennas) and would be good up into the 1000 meg range,try Herb Kreckmans antennas at kreco.com(I think)
If not do a search for kreco antennas.
mod
jhooten

Re: Two antennas are workable.

Post by jhooten »

mavericknet wrote:I can mount two antennas, but there would only be about a five foot HORIZONTAL distance between the antenas, would this be a problem?
Unless you are running very high power it should not be a problem. The EOC has a 100 watt low band and a 45 watt high band with antennas about 2 feet apart on the little tower (one bolted to each leg of a Rohn 25 sized tower section with a UHF on the third leg) on the roof and have had no problems. The big tower on the roof has is four sections and loaded with antennas, BTW.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”