XTS3000 using 2 different APCO Protocols or bad Dig Board?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

usaastro

Post by usaastro »

Hello everyone,

This is a stumbling block and wondering if anyone has any insight..
1 XTS3000 is a model 2 & 1 is a 3.
Both are model #H09UCF9PW7AN.

The system I am attempting to program mine to is an APCO 25 Digital Smartzone system. His radio works fine listening in Type II mode or affiliating using Smartzone. Trying my radio it works in Type II Analog single site trunking and attempting to decode the digital tg's it does scan them, but wont receive audio. When I scan I see the tg's on my display - but he receives it on his.

We tried programing my radio to using Type II Digital in wide area trunking and it did the same, just displays the tg but no digital audio, but receives analog fine.

Even though his radio is Smartzone & mine is Smartnet it should hear digital tg's in a single site programing environment, which his does and another radio does in analog.

My flashcode is 500004-000000-5
version 07.00.01.00
DSP N07.03.06

His that works on the system is:
Flashcode 500008-000000-1
version 04.01.02.00
DSP N06.03.01

This is an older system by maybe 2-3 years, so what I hear is there could be 2 different APCO 25 protocols or maybe a bad digital receiver. Have you heard anything or have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

In the astro screen, (i don't know if it is there in the trunking menu's), there was a selection for RX Unmute rule. Try changing that to DIGITAL CQ or something like that. You may be able to hear it after that.
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

Hi, PJ beat me to it, as I was going to suggest teh same thing.

Let us know how you make out.
usaastro

Post by usaastro »

Hello,

Thanks for the response. Will try that and see what it does. If my radio is talking to his radio there has to be something going on in mine? Dont know what, but the RX Unmite Rule is a good start.

Thanks!!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Have you selected "digital" for the "tx voice/signal type" in the talkgroup screen in the trunking personalities? Also, what individual ID are you using? There are certain blocks of digital ID's in an APCO-25 trunking system, using an analog ID won't work. You can send me your codeplug & I'll see if anything else jumps out at me.

Todd
BDB

Post by BDB »

I belive under the astro options you set up CQPSK and not C4FM. Also make sure that you strap your personalities to digital. Try it out and let us know.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

usaastro, I sent you a PM. SG
usaastro

Post by usaastro »

Hello,

Will give CQSPK a try. The other guys radio is set to Wide and works. But anything is worth trying!

Thanks!!
ASTRO_25
Batboard $upporter

Post by ASTRO_25 »

What system are you trying to monitor? Cleveland? Memphis?

I'd bet that the system you are trying to monitor is actually a VSELP system, judging by your friend's older Host and DSP versions.

That's why your APCO-25 capable radio won't monitor the digital talkgroups.
usaastro

Post by usaastro »

Hello,

That is the other thing we thought, is they might be in compatable but then looking at his flashcode and mine they are both apco 25 imbe. But the digital setting are really messed up on this system, so it has to be a matter of duplicating them to my radio.

The system should sound like a digital cell phone, with the clarity and being able to distinguish voices easily - but the system has an echo with most voices sounding the same.

Will let everyone know what happens nextime we try and program again.

Thanks!!
usaastro

Post by usaastro »

Hello everyone,

I really do appreciate all the help everyone has given!! The problem was fixed when switched to CQPSK instead of Wide.

Thanks again for all the help!!
BDB

Post by BDB »

Great ! I'm glad to hear it worked out.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”