XTS5000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BDB

Post by BDB »

Hi,
Does the XTS5000 support smartzone at this time or is it still under development for this model ?
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

You can bet that it does. That's a critical package for their customers, and if it didn't have a Smartzone package, it would not be a product that was ready for release to be sold.

It's sort of like tires as an available option for a car. Most users in the radio's intended market will appreciate that option.

Elroy
BDB

Post by BDB »

Thanks, I was told that they were trying to iron out some bugs with the 5000 regarding smartzone. I knew it was planned to be supported but was unsure if there was a problem and if so if it was straightened out.
BDB

Post by BDB »

Does anyone know of any agencies using the XTS5000 with a smartzone system currently ?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The Halifax Regional Police here in Nova Scotia recently placed 5 of them into service on our Provincial SmartZone system. I haven't heard any feedback on them yet. The programming of them went smoothly, almost identical to Astro CPS. The read/write to the radio was super quick compared to any other model radio I've programmed. Had to use the ribless serial cable as opposed to the USB cable, because the USB is only supported in Windows Millenium & 2000, not Win98 (tried it). A few other agencies are in the process of obtaining XTS2500's for the system as well, looking forward to seeing & programming those.

Todd
BDB

Post by BDB »

Thanks,
We are going to be getting some to evaluate in the next couple of weeks. I'll let everyone know how they work out.
ASTRO_25
Batboard $upporter

Post by ASTRO_25 »

The word on the street is that Motorola has recalled all XTS5000 radios on the market today for Smartzone firmware problems.

Maybe they haven't ironed all the bugs out...
BDB

Post by BDB »

I was aware that they were being recalled for the scanning flaw. Is this another flaw that was found ?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The only one I've heard of was the scanning problem as well. No problem here, they don't use scan since it's inherently unreliable in a SmartZone system anyway.

Todd
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Speaking of the XTS5000 does anyone know which Gov. agency is/was using these radios (or at least since they got recalled? )
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

I think it was someone like State of Arizona or some city in Arizona (Phoenix?) that had a bunch of them.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Wavetar, when you say that smartzone scanning is unreliable, are you referring to the fact that groups are only routed to each site on an as-requested-by-subscriber-radios basis?

Or is there another issue I'm not aware of?

Elroy
watchbuddy

Post by watchbuddy »

Major Ditos Radio Puppets

Yes "M" has recalled the XTS5000 from beta and that was do to firmware issues the smartzone suite of program had a slam and stick issue it was TX randomely which turned out to be the vocan board in the radio It also would jump out of program meaning chip failure but would restore partialy. "M" has already replaced the vocan and Rf-board in the units from the board manufacture and have placed them back in service qwick fix, don't want the New York Rumor brewing I guess. The radio I preffer is the XTS2500 I have been playing with this for sometime now and I really Love it the XTS5000 I call my self puppy it looks nice drives poor they are releasing the other spec freq's this coming week for tasting I cant wait !... Phoenix has been using the XTS5000 (760-800MHz) for a couple of months I stop by over their with the "M" rep from PSaftey and help open the Boxes what a radio the same as the one I got for Utah Olympics Just great right until you power up what a sound poor audio in that compared to the other units XTS3000,3500,2500 Just no compairison.

Hope the answer was received well!..
watchbuddy

Post by watchbuddy »

watchbuddy

Post by watchbuddy »

Uoops" Sorry About that Yes The WAN Bump as its called They are using it as an onscene type arrival and/or status update "M" has not accepted that as of yet nothing but headachs their It keeps failure status and is not compatable with the system switching I see along time until they get that unravaled. Goosh what a topic the xts5000 data mistake.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

On 2002-04-03 20:17, Elroy Jetson wrote:
Wavetar, when you say that smartzone scanning is unreliable, are you referring to the fact that groups are only routed to each site on an as-requested-by-subscriber-radios basis?

Or is there another issue I'm not aware of?

Elroy
Yes, that is what I was referring to.

Todd

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”