SmartZone Omnilink Question

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You are entirely correct in your assumptions as to what OmniLink is for. You are also correct that with the OmniLink option, you see the site alias without creating any alias lists. It's a bonus feature of having the OmniLink option in the radio. The sites themselves put out the data, every 20-30 seconds or so as far as I can tell. When you first switch to a site, the radio will only show the site number, until it receives the update from the site. Pretty cool, I think OmniLink is worth it just for that, even if you don't roam around much.

Todd

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wavetar on 2002-04-06 07:18 ]</font>
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

Unfortunately you're limited to the number of characters to send out (6).
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I'm not sure what the limit is, but it's definitely higher than 6. It's probably just dependent on how many characters your display has. We have many sites with more than 6 letters & they display just fine.

Todd
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

The maximum the network will send out is 6 characters. This is due to OSW limits. Three OSWs, two characters per OSW.

I've verified this on a few OmniLink systems (MTS and the network in Australia).

I'm not referring to programming the radio for site aliasing, which I think gets disabled when you enable OmniLink.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

MTS? What is that?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

On 2002-04-10 23:59, Twisted_Pear wrote:
The maximum the network will send out is 6 characters. This is due to OSW limits. Three OSWs, two characters per OSW.

I've verified this on a few OmniLink systems (MTS and the network in Australia).

I'm not referring to programming the radio for site aliasing, which I think gets disabled when you enable OmniLink.
You are correct, I verified it today with an XTS2500, only 6 characters for the OmniLink alias. Not sure why I thought it was more...

Todd
RFdude

Post by RFdude »

I'm told that SmartZone 4.1 (no Omnilink) will send the alias over the air too, but you still need OmniLink flash in the radio to see it. It may be a worthwhile tidbit for techs ordering their truck radios.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”