Am I missing something? (MDC PL strip on AS)

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

HumHead

Post by HumHead »

For the life of me, I cannot find an option in the Astro CPS to allow me to do MDC with the PL stripped.

Am I missing something, or is this another one of those quirky features that just didn't get implemented in the Astros?

Also, is there a way to change the display contrast angle on these things?

Thanks!
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I'll have to look into the MDC issue...but I am pretty sure I'm running MDC on a channel or two with no PL but I have to check to be totally sure of it.

The display contrast/viewing angle is adjusted through the small hole in the front shield assembly with the aid of a very small flat tipped screwdriver. Pop the chassis out of the housing and turn the control just a little bit, one way or another. That will change the best viewing angle. If it's better, great. If it's worse, go the other way on the control.

It's a minor pain to do this several times, having to put the radio back into the case every time to check it. If you have a spare housing you can sacrifice to the job, you can drill a hole in it in the appropriate area and get it right the first time.

Elroy
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Thanks Elroy.

The optimum viewing angle is currently about 20 degrees below perpendicular, which isn't terribly convenient.

I look forward to hearing from you if you find anything on the PL strip. At least I don't have to listen to the data :smile:

Thanks!
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

The other alternitive would be to enable the DOS option. Other than that, I don't believe I have seen anything at least to V9.0
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

The software DOES allow me to disable PL on an MDC-ID channel.

Elroy
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Thanks for the contrast tweak. It worked like a charm.

To make sure that we're on the same page, what I'm looking for is the ability to strip the PL from the MDC data transmitted on a channel with PL so that other users don't have to listen to it. (This ties to a thread I have going on the general discussion forum.) I know how to do it on the Waris series radios, but can't seem to find it on the Astro Saber. If we are thinking of the same thing here (not just using MDC with CSQ), could you let me know, at your convenience, where the heck the option in hidden?

I've been using CPS, but I also still get the DOS RSS updates, and have a saved original codeplug, if this is a RSS / CPS thing.

Unfortunately DOS will not do anything for post-PTT ID, and even if I went pre, it would only spare radios with DOS.

Thanks again.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Hmmm. On my AS (Host/dsp 5.whatever ---highest one avail) it will mute the post ptt. But as you said, radios without this feature are out of luck.

I know at my old PD on a Centracom II/MSF5000 repeater setup, it was configured the way you are looking at. You would never hear the MDC over the air. This was on MT1000's/Spectra's, so it wasn't anything fancy.

As for doing it the way you would like, sorry can't help ya. I went thru the RSS and the book, and I cannot come up with anything. If there is a way, I am sure that Elroy can find it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pj on 2002-04-11 01:11 ]</font>
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

Pj, What DSP/ Host are u referring to, as my as/3 has 07.......etc,on the f/w & dsp.

Maybe I misunderstood your post.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Mine are 512k, so they will only go up to 5.xxx. If yours start with 7.xxx you have a 1meg radio
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

PJ, OK, Thats what I was thinking but somehow thought that yours was a 1 vocon.
Ok, thanks
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I understand what you're trying to do now, I think. You want to have the radio drop the PL when transmitting MDC, but normally this channel runs MDC. Is that it?

If so, I know of no way to do that with any Astro portable product.

Elroy
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Oh well, thanks for the effort. I was hoping that I was just overlooking a sub-menu somewhere.

At least the display contrast is better now :smile:

It continues to surprise me that such top tier radios lack many of the features of the newer mid-tier radios (MDC PL strip, QCII, MDC radio check, etc.) I guess I have to make some allowance for vintage.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”