astro 3 shuts off from time to time???

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

medic1020

Post by medic1020 »

Hey everyoneo out there. I have a quick question about my astro 3. It seems to shut off from time to time with no warning and then turns it self back on again. With this problem i have also noticed that there is no sound coming from the speaker on occastions. I'm not sure if these two problems are related or not. Also have a question about cloning. When i try to clone two astros of teh same model and flash code, i get this message " This function can not occur until every Trunking system in memory has a corresponding system key." Any ideas greatly appreciated!!

Al
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

" This function can not occur until every Trunking system in memory has a corresponding system key."

I have received that also when trying to clone two radios, but then again I am not an expert by any means on astro radios, Possibly I am missing something, or overlooking a step.

Elroy?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Does this happen when a MDC packet is received?

I had a radio that was "basement" flashed and anytime the radio heard a MDC packet, it would shut down then turn back on again..

Other than that, bad battery?
medic1020

Post by medic1020 »

Thanks for the insight on cloning the astros. I actually figured it out by just cloning everything except the trunking features. it worked out very well. Still having that problem with the recieve and shutting off of the raio. It seems to occur whenever with no specific event. Doesn't seem to favor just MDC but generally everything. Strange right? And the batteries are all fully charged and the casing is on tight. Thanks for your help guys. Any more thoughts will always be appreciated!!
Al
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Uh, just gathering data here...are you by chance monitoring a trunking system that you don't have official authorization to monitor?

It almost seems as if the radio's being shut off remotely.

Just a thought, not yet a hypothesis.

Elroy
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

I too have noticed this problem of the Astro Saber turning itself off and back on for no reason. I've traced it back to using none Motorola batteries. Try try using real Motorola batteries.

Dan..
TXCAP
What radios do you own?: 5100/5300-TP9100 VHF&7/800

Post by TXCAP »

Check the Contacts. I Found One Time That Removing Them, And Replacing / Placing The Rubber Buttons Behind Will Sometimes Help By Keeping Positive Pressure On the Contacts.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

If you have secure installed in the radio, the firmware version of the encryption may be having a conflicting issue with the firmware of the radio, I had this happen to me on a Astro Saber, I changed the secure board and the problem went away, you can just turn off secure capabilities via rss to find out if this will fix the problem. Good luck, SG
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

Just a thought and you have probably already checked it anyway but take alook at the battery contact base plate, it may not look loose but if the contacts are worn enough it could cause the radio to go off and on if you happen to move the right way while it's on your belt. I had the problem with mine doing that for a while and after I changed the worn contacts it stopped.

Frank
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

That is exactly what our ASs do at work. The battery plate on the bottom sometimes gets loose, and the radio turns on and off and the low battery warning continually goes off. After tightening, the problem goes away...
Scott
medic1020

Figured it out!!!

Post by medic1020 »

After carefully taking the radio apart with a friend who also has an astro 3, we figured it out to be a controller. Well I guess it could be worse right? Thanks for the input everyone!! :roll:

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”