syntor x9000 audio problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lunzac
What radios do you own?: HT1250, XPR6550, XPR7550

syntor x9000 audio problem

Post by lunzac »

hey guys
got a bit of a problem with my syntorx9000. hopefully its easy to diagnose, but im guessing it wont be. anyways, heres the dea.

i finally got a few user modes programmed into the radio. when i went to test the radio on a GMRS freq i put in heres what happens. when transmitting, the syntor gives out signal and carrier but no audio. when recieving it opperates normally. i know the syntor is a powerful radio... say if im transmitting to an HT600 does the handheld need to be a certian distance away from the syntor antenna? other ideas im wondering is could wiring in the syntor mic be bad? those are my only 2 idea.... any insight from you all would be great.

thanks

-zach
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

First question, did you disconenct the RIB from the radio before testing?
lunzac

Post by lunzac »

no... but i will and let you know what the results are... thanks for the reminder.
lunzac

Post by lunzac »

hey... that rocks.... thats all it was. thanks again for the knowledge.

-zach
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

lunzac wrote:hey... that rocks.... thats all it was. thanks again for the knowledge.

-zach
A brief note on why this happens may be of interest.

Many early Syntor X9000 heads used the state of the MIC HI lead to determine if the control head EEPROM was write-enabled. If the lead was high, as it normally is, the chip would not accept any data for writing, thus offering some protection from corruption under normal operating conditions.

When the programming 'T' connector is attached to the radio, it grounds the MIC HI line, thus enabling the 'write' function in the control head EEPROM. This also has the side effect of killing transmit audio completely.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Yep, all of my radios do that. I went through the same thing, thought i killed one radio after programming it and not having any mic audio.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
lunzac

Post by lunzac »

hey guys... thanks again for the info. now just the fun of figuring out what all the functions are and what i can do with the thing.... any ideas on where i can get a manual either for the RSS or the radio itself... just somethig desribing what the different features are? also..., how do i name the modes.. meaning so a name shows up on the control head? if i understand it correctly i have to write the name in a txt file and upload the file?
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

Control head mode names are entered in the CHPROG section of RSS. There are help screens if necessary.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Lunzac, give me an email addy, and I've got a PDF copy of the users' manual I'll send you. As for the mode names, WB6NVH is correct. You should have two .EXE files with your RSS, RDPROG, which programs the radio, and CHPROG, which programs the control head. CHPROG allows you to program mode names, button assignments, etc.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Without any option cards in teh radio, its going to be a fairly basic radio. 32 or 64 channels. PL/DPL/CSQ and MPL features.

Option cards (far and few these days) could add things such as:

MDC600
MDC1200
Securenet
DTMF
Singletone

etc.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”