1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Install

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jantman

Post by jantman »

Hey, all.

I just posted some photos of the install in my personal 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It's not beautiful... it's horrible... maybe worse. The install has been heavily modified for 2 years... but, to it's credit, it moves the traffic as well as anything I've driven (that doesn't have a siren, as per NJ state regs for volunteers) and the wiring is safe and not much of a drain.

Some simple specs:
Code3 MX7000 lightbar, 3 rotators and 4 strobes (2 front/2 rear), ArrowStik in rear.
Many LEDs, headlight flasher, halogens behind grille
Whelen Power Air Horn Plus
Motorola Spectra mobile
Antenna for 2m/440 ham handheld

The flasher for the front flashers on the lower deck of the bar is shot, it works intermittently, rest of the time they just stay on constantly. I'm thinking of replacing them with two Whelen 500-series Linear Super LEDs, synched with the other LEDs.

Older photos, lower res, older domes on bar, and links to videos:
http://jantman.dyndns.org:10011/showSit ... =truck.php

New photos with the new clear domes on the bar:
http://jantman.dyndns.org:10011/showSit ... hotos2.php

Enjoy,
Jason[/url]
Wicho
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Realistic Space Command

Post by Wicho »

Uh...hamsexy with whacker flair? :o
jantman

Post by jantman »

Close... chronologically and financially whacker first, then ham...

Speaking of that, I don't think I've been on the ham in a few months... should check those repeaters sometime soon...
kg4ere

Post by kg4ere »

///
Last edited by kg4ere on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Good:

Bad:

Most amuzing:

You really need to drill some holes for those antenna's though.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

are those home made LED panels in the rear side windows?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Enjoy? What a wacktacular install.

For nothing more than that scanner wedged behind the seat, you should be taken out and summarily flogged.

You won't be so happy when that rat's nest burns up.

Ugh. :roll:
kc0jar
What radios do you own?: M1225, P1225, HT1250, ICV8000

Post by kc0jar »

Man, that's even worse than my former whacktastik grand cherokee install. I don't miss those days at all.
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

Holy shat! I now know my worst has never been THE worst!
Mike
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

1. Please clean out all your crap before you take pictures.

2. INVEST IN A LARGE BULK PACK OF CABLE TIES.

3. CUT WIRES TO LENGTH. Its wire, not pasta!

4. DRILL HOLES for antennas, lightbar cables etc. I can't imagine the weather seals on your doors will hold up with all that crap in there.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

I just re-viewed the pics again, and I am speechless. I hope that you do not use these as a pictoral resume' to work at a communications installer, or emergency vehicle dealership. You and your vehicle (poor Jeep, I feel for it) need help.
apco25 wrote:1. Please clean out all your crap before you take pictures.

2. INVEST IN A LARGE BULK PACK OF CABLE TIES.

3. CUT WIRES TO LENGTH. Its wire, not pasta!

4. DRILL HOLES for antennas, lightbar cables etc. I can't imagine the weather seals on your doors will hold up with all that crap in there.
DITTO. Buy some split loom as well, delete the crappy looking LED wannabe's. Take that god-awful lightbar off the rack, and mount it right. MX mounts will go right over a GC's rails, you don't need it up on pylons. And last, but not least, don't advertise an install like this anywhere. It makes you and the service look like idiots. By the way, get a more "butch" fleece. I hope that pink one is the one your 5 year-old sister left in your car by accident. UGH....OMG!
Mike
SafetyLighting

Post by SafetyLighting »

LOLOL, this is great. With all the money spent on stupid things you could have bought some very nice equipment and done the job right. Everyone starts somewhere, but you seem to just stay on a level plane instead of improving.
John
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Last thing I'll add is, we're not being asses about it. If you want help on how to do this vehicle up right we'll be glad to get you going in the right direction.

75% of what's bad could be easily corrected.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Oh wow.. i think i just puked in the garbage can after looking at that wiring...

Why am i being so rude about it? Because i spend a lot of time fixing shat like that..

On the other hand, if you kept doing installs like that it will make others money, myself included, repairing them.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Terry_Glover

Ugh!

Post by Terry_Glover »

I swear, the liquid in those so called water bottles (item 2) has a yellowish tint and it's foamy... just look closely.

I commend you for not throwing your "Bladder Bombs" out on the side of the road though!

Me thinks the poor kid got embarrased here, no defense and no reply, AT ALL. :wink:
Terry
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

Yeah. Sorry, Jantman. I think I can speak for most here, and say that if you are looking for suggestions on improvement, you will find it here. PM me, and I'd be happy to help. Unfortunately though, the pics do provoke the ribbing!
Mike
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

I hope you patient care is better than the way you install your equipment.

Your Jeep should be shot and put out of it's misery.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
jantman

Post by jantman »

I haven't been by here in a while, was just cleaning out my bookmarks and found one pointing to this thread.

I haven't had the time to do much work (cleanup) on the truck lately, and the prospect of a new pickup this year really hasn't motivated me to do much work on it.

The wiring under the seat may not look good, but it's hidden by the seat. All circuits are fused at 125% of load, and I know where each wire goes. It's not beautiful, but it isn't unsafe either. Also, everything's on a solenoid, so it's not even hot when the master switch is off.

"1. Please clean out all your crap before you take pictures."
The photos are of my truck, as it is every day. I don't do paid installs, I'm not looking to sell anything. The few times I've done installs for friends, I do them right. For my own truck, I'd rather see a few wires hanging out than take the time to route them under the trim.

"4. DRILL HOLES for antennas, lightbar cables etc."
I don't OWN the car. No externally visible holes through the roof. Anything else goes. Once again, the next truck, which will be titled in my name, will have thru-roof antennas and lightbar wires.

"delete the crappy looking LED wannabe's. Take that god-awful lightbar off the rack, and mount it right. MX mounts will go right over a GC's rails, you don't need it up on pylons. And last, but not least, don't advertise an install like this anywhere. It makes you and the service look like idiots. By the way, get a more "butch" fleece. "
1) The LEDs were $8 each. If you would like to mail me the difference for 6 TIR3's at $50 a piece, I'll send you my address. 2) There are no hole-less mounts for the GC, according to Code3. The only ones they have are drilled into the area over the door, and they advise removing the rack. 3) What "service"? I'm not advertising anything. This is my POV. 4) It came in the mail. It's a blanket. The MVA pt's don't mind what it looks like, and I don't mind tossing it if there's too much blood.

"With all the money spent on stupid things you could have bought some very nice equipment and done the job right."
Let's see... $150 for the bar, $50 for the switch panel, $48 for six LEDs.

"I swear, the liquid in those so called water bottles (item 2) has a yellowish tint and it's foamy... just look closely. "
Goes with the Skoal in the console.

The job of the lighting is not to serve as a demo. I don't do paid installs except for friends, and I don't want to. The purpose is to get people out of the way, and keep them from hitting me when the vehicle is parked. It does that fine. Will I do the next truck very differently? Yes. Will I put more money and time into it? Yes. But for now, this does the job very well, and lets me concentrate on what I have to - caring for patients while I'm on duty, and making money when I'm not.
FiremanSparky
Batboard $upporter

Post by FiremanSparky »

Where's rooflifeco at?..................

Seriously, if you install your equipment on a new truck and decide to sell any of it, please give me a P.M. as I know who would be interested in it.

Frank
jantman

Post by jantman »

I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

The bar and air horn will probably stay (when this eventually happens, don't know when) but most of the rest will go.
EPC_1111
What radios do you own?: More than you could imagine

Post by EPC_1111 »

What was that Gunnery Sgt Hartman said?
"You make me want to vomit".

Post by 601 »

All the extra lights seem like overkill to me, but that's just my opinion. I also have a Jeep Cherokee (2002) with a Vista bar on it, that's it, and it works fine for me in heavily congested areas. It's a 5 rotator with amber rear flashers for when i'm parked on scene. While I am going the same route as you as far as the running cables through a door, I just haven't had the time to inspect the inside of my roof to see where I can drill (I have a sunroof on mine) and I may be getting a mini LED Liberty instead in the next few months. But, just for reference, here's pictures of mine:

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”