CF-25 Toughbook BIOS uplift needed.

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AEC
No Longer Registered

CF-25 Toughbook BIOS uplift needed.

Post by AEC »

Howdy all!

I have a panasonic Toughbook, model CF-25 that is in need of a BIOS update to run my PCMCIA host USB card, without the update, I'm dead in the water, but I also need to know how to access 'extra' functions to gain entry to the BIOS settings, aside from the simple and short setup screen that shows upon power up-it's useless.

I never got a manual when I bought this laptop used, so I am fully in the dark on how to get specific function to work, as well as access to secondary systems settings.

Any help here would be wonderful!!

Thank you in advance!!!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I haven't messed with Toughbooks, and Google didn't help too much with your problem directly. However, there are CF-25 CD manuals on ebay which would likely be of great help to you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-Toughbook ... dZViewItem

They claim the following:

Specifications for your Toughbook CF-25 (ALL variations!)
Name of ALL Parts
Technical Information
Diagnostic Tests & Procedures
Disassembly & Reassembly
Wiring & Circuit Board Diagrams
Exploded Parts Views
Parts List w/ Panasonic Part #'s
Schematic Diagrams
ALL Reference & Owners Manuals
ALL Drivers & BIOS (so you can make recovery / updates)

All for under $20.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Wavetar:

Thanks for the info, but Ebay was the last place I would have looked for such things to tell you the truth!

I might have to take that route if I can't find a down and dirty solution to my problem, but I DO appreciate the assistance nonetheless!!

Thank you!
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

For starters, have you been to Panasonic support?

http://tcc.toughbook.com/

I didn't read any of them, but they show several manuals, as well as bios upgrades. It appears that for more detailed features, you have to register

Yeah. "login for download access"
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I made the mistake of calling panasonice, and could not understand the tech support guy(Pakistan, maybe?)....was a total waste of a phone call.

I'll try the site you posted Roadrunner...I shall see how that turns out.

But so far, to get the updates I need to allow IRQ use though the BIOS, and support of my PCMCIA USB card, I also copied 'specific' drivers from *gasp* Winblows 98SE, and that still didn't work as the BIOS would not recognize the added command lines.

The CF-25 setup (F1) is childish and provides nothing in the way of a 'real' setup, just a few things can be addressed......LAME.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Does yours force you to hit F1 on bootup? Mine hangs there. When I hit it the thing just continues on to the normal boot process. I can't figure out how to get rid of it. It doesn't take me to a setup screen like is says it's supposed to.

I found a site a while back that had some bios stuff but it was all for a specific version of the 25 and I didn't know how to tell for sure what mine was.

I tried calling them once too and that was a nightmare so I just gave up and dealt with it.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

I was looking around here: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OperMan ... model=CF25
hope it helps..for a basic manual
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Jim2121 wrote:I was looking around here: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OperMan ... model=CF25
hope it helps..for a basic manual
Jim:

Just my luck, Panasonic makes those cheesy tags and places them on the bottom of the machine, right where they get easily destroyed!

So all I can decipher about the exact model number is this: CF-25xxxxxxxM Whatever THAT means....the remainder of the ID is all chewed up.

I know it's old as it's a 120 PII with 64 MB RAM, and a small 3.4 GB H.D as well.

And Mancow is right...dealing with tech support was anything BUT helpful.

I wish these companies would try using people that could really speak english for a change also!

I know the previous owner installed IBM BIOS as that's what pops up on the screen at boot.

It was also once loaded with an IBM DSP modem which no longer is used or installed.

Damn nice machine, but the setup leaves much to be desired...it's lame.

Even a Winblows 98 driver download does nothing to activate the dormant IRQ needed to recognize the USB port of the PCMCIA card I have in the card slot.....CD works great without a hitch, just no USB.

Not even the card's CD driver pack provides any relief....Grrrr.

So much for using my digital camera with THIS machine for the time being!

I'll keep plugging away at this until I get someplace....or I find my own working version of that EASY button*laughing*

Thank you again guys!

Your assistance is always appreciated!

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”