HDD Upgrade

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Batman
What radios do you own?: JT1000, Spectras, CB-555, 540

HDD Upgrade

Post by Batman »

Source Drive: 30 GB IDE

Target Drive: 120 GB SATA

Now how do i go about upgrading this w/o needing to reinstall everything from scratch.

I know step 1 is install drivers for the SATA adapter.

But beyond that is what i want to do possible?
Thank You,

Robert
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

You can do this a couple ways, but the easiest is to just go over to the Maxtor.com website and download their free Maxblast 4 software. Boot into windows with both drives connected and make sure windows sees the new drive. Then i like to boot off the Maxblast CD and use it to copy the partition and expand it to the size of the new drive. Just follow the instructions step by step and it will lead you through it.

Once its done shutdown and make sure the old drive is removed or go into the bios and set the SATA ahead of the IDE in the boot priority. That is if your Bios has this option. If not just unplug the IDE drive for now and make sure you can boot off the SATA. If you want to use the old IDE as a secondary drive you can reconnect it later as a slave.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Norton Ghost.

Install Ghost.
Tell it to clone partitions.
(Watch it clone partitions)
Reboot.
Make computer use SATA for boot drive
Use old IDE as aux storage.

there you go.