Install Question

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FiremanSparky
Batboard $upporter

Install Question

Post by FiremanSparky »

Hello everyone
Our Fire Dept just aquired a 2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 2500 pick-up for use as a Command Vehicle. We plan on installing an all-Whelen lighting package. We plan on installing a Whelen 295HFSA5 light/electronic siren, a Whelen Traffic Advisor controller along with a Motorola XTL-5000 mobile radio in a console box. This will sound silly, but has anyone done any install's or have any pictures of an install on this type of vehicle? We want to remove the stock vehicle mounted cup-holder console to make room for the new console but find a place for a cup holder at the same time.

Thanks
Frank
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I've never worked on a Dog, but I've done similar installs in Fords (including my own).

First, talk to Havis about a console. http://www.havis.com/. They should offer a mounting plate for that truck, and whatever size console you need. They also have cupholder panels to go in their consoles... though, fair warning, positioning sticky, acidic substances in the path between a $3K-$5K Motorola radio and a clumsy firefighter can have disasterous consequences.

As for the equipment, I'd strongly recommend that you look at a Whelen Cencom instead of the separate HFSA5 and TA controller. The Cencoms will allow you to do everything in one box, and look very sexy in the process. For bonus points, run dual speakers and an Alpha22M side-by-side with the Cencom for dual-tone config (this is what I do... giving me the option of Powercall or Mechanical combined with HiLo, Wail, Yelp, or Piercer).
firemanfox

Post by firemanfox »

As a matter of fact we just got a couple of these as county vehicles. Our package includes a mounted console (can't remember the type off the top of my head but they took the cup holders out to mount them) We have a CDM1550 and a Kenwood 8180 plus a switch panel and a blank spot on the face of the console, cup holders and a ht1250 portable charger on the otherside. The siren controller was remote mounted to the dash behind the console and the switches were integrated into the panel. A six head strobe pack along with the LED flasher is mounted under the rear seat driver's side. Antenna's for the radios are 2 "hockey puck" style mounted center roof. The whole package is under cover set up with 4 LED heads in the back window, a LED Whelen Talon above the rearview mirror, a strobe in each of the headlights, one in each of the foglights, and one in each of the tailights. Very effective package. I was going to post some pics but we haven't gotten all the labels in for the switch panel so I didn't want to show it off with the ugly black holes where they are missing because it really was a nice job. If you have any specific questions I'll try my best to give you some help.
Fire Department Lieutenant
FiremanSparky
Batboard $upporter

Install Question

Post by FiremanSparky »

Hi everyone.
The decision was made to have a local firm do the install. Thanks for the answers, and I'll be sure to post pic's when we get it back. We should have it back by the end of next week. We will be staying with the Whelen light package, but due to space considerations, will be utilizing the Whelen CenCom siren/light control (yes, the stock cup holder location is giving us headaches, plus, there is a heating/air conditioning duct running underneath that to boot).

Again, Thanks
Frank
FiremanSparky
Batboard $upporter

Install Questions

Post by FiremanSparky »

Can anyone tell me what the easiest way to post pic's is? We have our truck back and would like to post the pics which is something I have never done before.

Thanks
Frank
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

load them up to http://imageshack.us/ press the image button in the post window here [img]link to picture provided by imageshack[/img] press img button again.

press submit. you must use the [img]link[/img] for each picture.

if you would like to upload multiple photos, create a photobucket account, just google photobucket, it is much easier and free
-Jon
FiremanSparky
Batboard $upporter

Install Question

Post by FiremanSparky »

Hello everyone. Here are the pic's. We had a MCS console installed to mount the CenCom siren & light control and the Motorola XTL-5000 radio. Whelen Series 500 LED lights were utilized for intersection warning, and Whelen Series 700 Series LED lights were utilized for brush guard mounted front warning. A Whelen Freedom LED lightbar was mounted on the roof with a Whelen 6 LED Traffic Advisor with two red & blue LED flashers on the ends mounted on the rear of the shell. Two 100 watt sirens were mounted behind the stock foglight locations on the front bumper. To finish it off, a ExtendoBed Command Center was installed in the bed of the truck. A special thanks goes to Avtech Electronics for the lights/siren and radio install, and Rick at Peak Motors for the graphics. Enjoy!
Frank

(This is my first attempt to post pictures, so I hope this works out. emsbuff3240, thanks for the tip)
GMC

Post by GMC »

I like the "saying" on the back .......

nice overall
NCSHP311
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber, XTS', APX's

Post by NCSHP311 »

GMC wrote:I like the "saying" on the back .......

nice overall
agreed!
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

Nice unit. Good luck with it.

A favorite slogan from a company north of me:

"Professional services from volunteer forces"
Mike
FiremanSparky
Batboard $upporter

Install Question

Post by FiremanSparky »

Thanks everyone. So far, it has worked out great with no gremlins. MK4412, I wish I would have thought of that slogan!

Frank
RES347CUE

Post by RES347CUE »

Turned out really nice looks good i am going to have to agree nice slogan !
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Nice truck.

I put those images in-line with your post. In the future, if you want to post photo's, you can try the following:

Code: Select all

[img]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/firemansparky/100_0544.jpg[/img]
I simply added those tags to your links above. Feel free to click edit, and see how it was done.

Drop any mod or admin a line and we are happy to help.

-Alex
Andre
Batboard $upporter

Post by Andre »

what is that all over the XTL mic coil cable? Donut powder?
fd2119

Post by fd2119 »

How much did the Extend-a-bed run you guys? I like that setup. As a matter of fact, I like the whole vehicle!
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Andre wrote:what is that all over the XTL mic coil cable? Donut powder?
I've seen that on many mic cords... I think it's some sort of powder dusting, probably during manufacture. Usually, it comes right off with a quick dunk in water.

I doubt it's donut-related. The truck is red, not blue... :P
FiremanSparky
Batboard $upporter

Install Question

Post by FiremanSparky »

Alex, thanks for the information. fd2119, the Extend-a-Bed cost $3350.00. We are in the process of installing additional equipment on it, and I'll post more pic's when it is finished. tvsjr, my chief agrees as far as the color goes! Thanks everyone.

Frank
tvsjr

Re: Install Question

Post by tvsjr »

FiremanSparky wrote:fd2119, the Extend-a-Bed cost $3350.00.
Yup... if you're going to buy a real Extend-a-Bed (the only way to go, IMO), you're advised to take the gallon jug of KY with you. They are nice, and they know it.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”