strobe help!

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

strobe help!

Post by jmr3865 »

Ok, I have the bulbs in my lamps and ran the wiring to the box. The car came with the bulbs and wire in place but no p/s. Their area already connections on the wires. The connections on the wires will NOT fit into the p/s. What should I do?
JMR
KC2QVO
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

1) find out what kind of P/S they ran, and run the equivalent....
2) find out what kind of strobes are in there, and find out if you can retip the wires to fit your P/S if they are compatible....
3) research the installer to find out if they used their own style of stuff to make the people come back to them only (sneaky move there)
4) confirm the wiring is good and rated for such, and remove their strobes, retip both ends of the wires and run your own strobes and P/S.
5) use their wires to drag your own wires and run your own setup...
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

some odball supplies like older federal used the male connector to connect to the supply. It may be a matter of just putting new ends on the cables.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

Where can I get new ends?
JMR
KC2QVO
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

what kind of car is this (year, model, special service package I presume, since it's wired) and what kind of power supply are you using?
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

97 jeep grand cherokee laredo. The owner before me was in fire/ems and had 4 strobes in. When he sold the vehicle, he took 2 strobes out and the p/s. I purchased a new p/s and 2 more strobes. All of the ends are the same but they don't fit into the p/s.
JMR
KC2QVO
Double_Deuz

Post by Double_Deuz »

You can get new strobe ends and connectors from any one of the major suppliers. Sound Off, Whelen or Federal Signal. Look at pinning of strobe itself to determine which brand it is. For instance Whelen and Sound Off
pin 1 - red pin - black pin 3 - White
I forget what Federal does, but they are differant and their power supplies wire differantly too.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

They all use the AMP connectors and pins which you can order from everywhere...
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Exactly. You'll get raped if you try to buy the pins/bodies from the manufacturers. I've got a list at home of the Mouser part numbers... PM me if you want it.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Pin information... these are part numbers from Mouser.com.

Bodies are:
571-14803050 (Body / plugs into power supply)
571-14803030 (Body / plugs into strobe tube)

Pins are:
571-606201 (Pin / plugs into power supply)
571-606191 (Pin / plugs into strobe tube)

These are the order for Whelen tubes and power supplies. I think there are some oddball power supplies that use different connectors, but these are the standard.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”