Toughbook CF-18 CPU upgrades

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Toughbook CF-18 CPU upgrades

Post by videonerd »

Is it possible to upgrade a Toughbook CF-18 CPU?

... as in, buying a slower Pentium-M 900MHz Toughbook, and putting in a 1.5GHz Pentium-M chip. There are 1.5GHz CF-18 laptops, so I know the platform supports it - but... is the CPU soldered in?
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Even if you could change out the processor, the heat requirements, power draw, and bus speeds - just to name a few, probably would not help your attempt.

I'm sure to some degree that you can change the P3 series chips around, and probably have it work (if it's even socketed). I don't think I'd do a P3 -> Pentium M chip.

-Alex
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

alex wrote:Even if you could change out the processor, the heat requirements, power draw, and bus speeds - just to name a few, probably would not help your attempt.

I'm sure to some degree that you can change the P3 series chips around, and probably have it work (if it's even socketed). I don't think I'd do a P3 -> Pentium M chip.

-Alex
Sockets are different for the P3 and the P-Ms though aren't they?
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

JAYMZ wrote:
alex wrote:Even if you could change out the processor, the heat requirements, power draw, and bus speeds - just to name a few, probably would not help your attempt.

-Alex
Sockets are different for the P3 and the P-Ms though aren't they?
Probably - but I really don't know off hand. I'd think I'd be more concerned about burning up the chip after I changed it - even if it was socketed correctly.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

I'd also be concerned about the BIOS or other motherboard electronics supporting the CPU, such as the ability to set clock speeds etc. We have some single board industrial machines at work that work only with a particular model CPU, if you use other processors from the same family, the machine doesn't do a damn thing. There is also no provision to change clock speeds and multipliers.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”