Need to buy a new laptop

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cfdeng3

Need to buy a new laptop

Post by cfdeng3 »

I need to buy a new laptop. I am having a difficult time finding one with a serial port!! I have done some searches on the board and haven't found recent info so i am wondering....

Any word if the USB to serial port adapters are stable and if so where and what kind should I get?

Will the windows vista software work with programming CPS?

This computer will be used to program all windows based motorola radios.

Thanks!!
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Re: Need to buy a new laptop

Post by PhillyPhoto »

cfdeng3 wrote:I need to buy a new laptop. I am having a difficult time finding one with a serial port!! I have done some searches on the board and haven't found recent info so i am wondering....

Any word if the USB to serial port adapters are stable and if so where and what kind should I get?

Will the windows vista software work with programming CPS?
They can be found pretty cheaply on eBay.

I have used the USB->Serial adapter from IO Gear with several XTS3000s and Astro Spectras and have never had issues.

If you are looking for a laptop with a serial adapter, the specs are probably going to be low to meet Vistas minimum requirements. Also, I think there have been some issues with Vista and CPS in general, so I would stay away from it as much as possible for now. You're probably better of with a W2K or XP system.
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

The Dell 520 is a straight forward laptop, no widescreen BS, and it has a serial port as well as being available with XP if bought from dell small business.

I just checked, and I don't think they sell them now, but dell outlet as well as ebay would have them. There are lots of resellers of Dells on ebay that have bought them at good prices and resell them.
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

and another way is: "Mouser Electronics" and/or "Cables To Go" has USB to Serial Port adapters... we have had all good luck.....Jim

http://www.mouser.com/

http://www.cablestogo.com/
P25Digital
New User

Post by P25Digital »

I've had good luck with the Belkin Model F5U109 USB to Serial adapter. It's the ONLY one I could find searching locally at Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, Wal-Mart and finally found one at Staples.

This one even has LEDs to monitor transfer activity. A little more expensive than I'd planned on at $25-$30, but its worked every time, so it was worth it.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Panasonic Toughbooks all have serial ports, as well as USB ports

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

I haven't had that good of a time when it comes to the USB to Serial adapters, some work, some don't. If you really want a solution get a newer laptop with a PC card slot and get a serial adapter card and slide that in, it seems to be more reliable than a USB type adapter.

Recently i purchased a new laptop and this has an ExpressCard slot on it, so now i have to find and purchase an ExpressCard to Serial adapter, i'm sure they are out there, just haven't searched yet.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”