Dumb encryption question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Dumb encryption question

Post by PhillyPhoto »

I was thinking about FPP and was wondering if there's any crypto laws dictating how encryption keys can be loaded into radios? Would it be possible to have a flashport option for keypad key entry? Probably not, but I figured I'd throw it out there.
libuff

Re: Dumb encryption question

Post by libuff »

i had a legal xts-2500 FPP with ADP encryption, it is possible / legal to have both. you could add keys to the ADP encryption via the CPS, but not via the keypad.
tvsjr

Re: Dumb encryption question

Post by tvsjr »

There's no law... however, there are standards.

Federal Information Processing Standards publication 140-2 (FIPS PUB 140-2), titled Security Requirements for Cryptographic Modules, defines four levels of security to which a crypto module can be certified through the Cryptographic Module Validation Program (CMVP) administered jointly by NIST (USA) and CSE (Canukia).

Moto modules/radio platforms go through this process to become certified, though I'm not sure of their certification levels. Having the separate keyfill device is one of the requirements... one reason why software ADP isn't certified. Any government agency will want something that complies with 140-2, thus the need for the KVL.

Keypad key entry would most likely be possible, assuming there is a pathway from the radio processor to the UCM for keyfill. However, 140-2 Level 3 requires physical separation on a module between the keyfill interface and all other interfaces, so this may not be present.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”