what speaker part #'s are good for XTVA?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

immelmen28

what speaker part #'s are good for XTVA?

Post by immelmen28 »

I am shopping for a new speaker to be used with an XTVA. I have seen references to part numbers HSN1000A /B and HSN1005A /B and HSN1006A all associated with XTVA use but also with Maxtrac and other radios. The official M description for ALL of these part numbers is the same..... "6 watt amplified external speaker for PA audio".

is there any difference between the speakers? will any/all of them be compatible with an XTVA?

Thanks for any help.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Re: what speaker part #'s are good for XTVA?

Post by radioinstl »

i know one of those is the newer rounded style and has a volume knob on the speaker, i no longer have mine so i am not sure what number it is
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I use a Mostar amplified speaker, p/n HSN1005. The connector wiring doesn't match the wiring of the stock XTVA cable, so I cut the speaker connector end off and hard-wired it into the speaker. Matching the wiring up is not hard at all; the connections for audio in +/- and power +/- are very obvious. There is a trimmer pot on the board inside the speaker that limits input; it could easily be adapted to an external variable resistor, but I didn't bother with it. I did, however, connect it to the XTVA disassembled and backed off on the internal pot significantly to allow the XTVA volume control to zero-mute it.

edit: Do a search on "that auction site" for 350068971834. He has several reasonably-priced.
sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

Post by sglass »

hell, I might have one

I'll double check part numbers.

Seth
immelmen28

Post by immelmen28 »

Thanks for the input, all. I just got an HSN1000B for $10 new in the box so its not a huge loss if its the wrong part. I am trying to determine if the mods mentioned in otaku's post will be necessary on this version as well?

A google search for "HSN1000" returned as the second link, direct from Moto's website listing the hsn1000 as compatible with the XTS3000. Further the XTVA page here at Batlabs list this under the speaker part numbers:

External speaker (PAS):
HSN1000 (Phased out)
HSN1006 6-watt speaker, includes cable

I was hoping that even tho it may be phased out it would still be plug and play with the XTVA. It has not arrived yet so if anyone could give me a heads up...

Thanks,
Tom
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Tom - every XTVA/RFPA I have installed came with "HSN1006A Amplified Speaker" as listed in the moto docs
and stamped on the speaker itself. You will also need the cable from the XTVA holder to the speaker itself
and this is listed as "HKN6455A Interconnect Cable". The doc that comes with the HSN1006A is listed as
"68P81110C10-0".
EDIT: Also every MTVA I have installed has had the same speaker & cable.
fineshot1
NJ USA
immelmen28

Post by immelmen28 »

fineshot1 wrote:Tom - every XTVA/RFPA I have installed came with "HSN1006A Amplified Speaker" as listed in the moto docs
and stamped on the speaker itself. You will also need the cable from the XTVA holder to the speaker itself
and this is listed as "HKN6455A Interconnect Cable". The doc that comes with the HSN1006A is listed as
"68P81110C10-0".
EDIT: Also every MTVA I have installed has had the same speaker & cable.
Crap. Thanks for sharing even if it is not good news. The speaker is here, I am waiting on the cable. I am hoping the XTVA page is right and this is an older, but compatible speaker.

I will be sure to post results here when I have time to get it installed. If it does work, its a hell of a good deal.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

immelmen28 wrote:Thanks for the input, all. I just got an HSN1000B for $10 new in the box so its not a huge loss if its the wrong part. I am trying to determine if the mods mentioned in otaku's post will be necessary on this version as well?

A google search for "HSN1000" returned as the second link, direct from Moto's website listing the hsn1000 as compatible with the XTS3000. Further the XTVA page here at Batlabs list this under the speaker part numbers:

External speaker (PAS):
HSN1000 (Phased out)

I was hoping that even tho it may be phased out it would still be plug and play with the XTVA. It has not arrived yet so if anyone could give me a heads up...

Thanks,
Tom
Tom - this is what I have on the HSN1000 wiring if you need it & not sure where I got it(i had it saved in a text file).

HSN1000B Amplified Speaker Wiring
This speaker is called the MOSTAR speaker.
They are used with MTR2000 base/repeater stations for example.
1 blue input.
2 blk pwr gnd.
3 blk/wht high side of internal speaker (this is jumpered)
4 shld input gnd
5 red plus 12 vdc
6 wht amp out (this is jumpered to pin 3)

If you want to drive a different speaker other than the internal one,
you pull the jumper, and run pin 6 to the speaker you want to drive.

Blue = Audio Input
Black = Grnd
red = +12VDC
fineshot1
NJ USA
immelmen28

Post by immelmen28 »

fineshot1 wrote:
immelmen28 wrote:Thanks for the input, all. I just got an HSN1000B for $10 new in the box so its not a huge loss if its the wrong part. I am trying to determine if the mods mentioned in otaku's post will be necessary on this version as well?

External speaker (PAS):
HSN1000 (Phased out)

Thanks,
Tom
Tom - this is what I have on the HSN1000 wiring if you need it & not sure where I got it(i had it saved in a text file).

HSN1000B Amplified Speaker Wiring
This speaker is called the MOSTAR speaker.
They are used with MTR2000 base/repeater stations for example.
1 blue input.
2 blk pwr gnd.
3 blk/wht high side of internal speaker (this is jumpered)
4 shld input gnd
5 red plus 12 vdc
6 wht amp out (this is jumpered to pin 3)

If you want to drive a different speaker other than the internal one,
you pull the jumper, and run pin 6 to the speaker you want to drive.

Blue = Audio Input
Black = Grnd
red = +12VDC

Thanks so much for the details!! that should help get it working if its not plug and play. XTVA install planned for Saturday...Ill post results.
immelmen28

Post by immelmen28 »

FYI for any who may have the same question I did. My XTVA install is complete and the HSN1000b speaker works flawlessly with it. It was plug and play, no mods done what so ever. For anyone who needs an xtva speaker, the person I got mine from has a stockpile of them new in the box for $20 on flebay.

Also, for anyone planning a Ford Explorer install of an XTVA. Mine has the cradle on the back right wheel hub behind the last row of seats. extended the HHCH with Ethernet cable, works like a charm and hides the radio from prying eyes.

Tom

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”