Replacement cases and serial numbers...

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Replacement cases and serial numbers...

Post by KG6EAQ »

Ok, so my boss wants to buy an Astro Saber III, used. The guy that he is buying it from has the original receipt from Motorola. Problem is that about a year ago the seller cracked the case and replaced it with one off eBay. There are now no serial number tags on the back. Since we work and live in LAPD territory, and we know from Chad what they like to do with Astro's when they don't have a serial... Is there a way to get a replacement tag from Motorola? The seller says the number in the radio, when read with the RSS matches the one on the receipt. Is this a big no no with /\/\?
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

My boss was told (this is all 3rd hand to me) that the owner had broken the front of the case getting into a car, it was on a belt clip and nailed on the beam between the doors, thus breaking the front of the case. So he bought a new one on eBay and chucked the original. Hopefully this won't be much of a problem! Thanks!
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
usaastro

Post by usaastro »

Hello,

I have the same problem with an XTS3000. The backplain was damaged, so I replaced it and it has no serial # on the back. I do not have a receipt for the radio and wondering how I go about having Motorola placing a serial/model # sticker on the back with the same serial # thats in the service mode??

Thanks in advance!!
USGOVTECH

Tag Replacement

Post by USGOVTECH »

You can send the radio into the Depot and they will replace the tags. They will not send you id tags. It will be anywhere from $125.00 to Flat Rate repair price (Much More) but this is the only sure hit way to get new tags on your radio.
BrentLA

Re: Replacement cases and serial numbers...

Post by BrentLA »

Since we work and live in LAPD territory, and we know from Chad what they like to do with Astro's when they don't have a serial...
===============

Don't believe Everything you read here. Some people write posts and then can't or won't substantiate their experience with any solid facts. If you don't flaunt your radio, you will most likely never have a problem. If you do encounter a problem in the LA area, let me know and I *may* be able to help.
1 Adam 12
sk

Serial number tags

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

One other suggestion is to have radio read, get the info and go to a label or plastics company and have a label made, not only with the model and serial number, but also with identifiers, name, Dl, or a phone number with a "reward if found" . At worst the radio would be run and read and would verfiy the info on the radio.
1 Adam 12
sk

Serial number tags

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

One other suggestion is to have radio read, get the info and go to a label or plastics company and have a label made, not only with the model and serial number, but also with identifiers, name, Dl, or a phone number with a "reward if found" . At worst the radio would be run and read and would verfiy the info on the radio.
d119

Post by d119 »

any suggestions on plastics or label companies?
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

BrentLA - Tis true! We don't plan to flaunt it at all! I have a feeling that's the reason most people have trouble....
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
motsaber99

VEST

Post by motsaber99 »

Not to get you going anymore but most police supply houses won't sell you a vest because several criminals wear them to commit crimes. Like those guys in LA who were in the shoot out a couple of years ago.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”