Installing MT500 Convertacom

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc8wjg
New User

Installing MT500 Convertacom

Post by kc8wjg »

I recently acquired an MT500 Convertacom N1248A. It came with no cabling, mic, or speaker. I was able to get a hold of a schematic, though it still did not spell out clearly which lugs on the connector board I need to connect to for 12V power. I found a page on this site that has a pinout for MX-series convertacoms and it looks identical to the one for the MT-500.

http://www.batlabs.com/images/cnvtcom1.gif

However, my MT schematic omits the the wire color chart right below the vehicle battery in the drawing. It would appear that the MX and MT have an identical connector layout on their back panels.

Could I possibly use the MX series pinout as a guideline if this is the case? If not, does anyone know how to wire one of these into a passenger vehicle?

Please contact me off list FIRSTor here, though I can't guarantee I'll check back here much.

Thanks!

73's de Adam KC8WJG.
tvsjr

Re: Installing MT500 Convertacom

Post by tvsjr »

I can't help you with your problem... however, we would appreciate it if replies took place here on the board. This makes the information available for other people as well.
kc8wjg
New User

Post by kc8wjg »

Sure, no problem. I'm not terribly busy here at the moment.

Also, what which key do these take. I've heard either a 2135 or an MOT-1. My 2135 broke off while I had the unit stored. It didn't seem to work anyway.

Adam KC8WJG
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Adam
The MT500 CVC uses a 2135 key, The MX CVC and the MT CVC use the same power plug. If you can find a 12 watt speaker they work great with the CVC. Ive seen them on eBay. I dont have the pinouts but the red wire (fused) goes to the battery + black goes to ground - and the orange wire goes to ignition. If you run the orange wire to the battery the night light and charging circuit will stay on and run your battery down. If you dont use the 12 watt audio the 1/2 watt speaker plugs into the small square 2 pin plug on the back. Its the same plug that the micor speaker uses. The biggest problem with the CVC is the pins move and fail to make contact with the portable. They used aircraft wire to keep the control arm from shifting.
Hope this helps
Fowler
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
kc8wjg
New User

Post by kc8wjg »

abbylind wrote:Adam
The MT500 CVC uses a 2135 key, The MX CVC and the MT CVC use the same power plug. If you can find a 12 watt speaker they work great with the CVC. Ive seen them on eBay. I dont have the pinouts but the red wire (fused) goes to the battery + black goes to ground - and the orange wire goes to ignition. If you run the orange wire to the battery the night light and charging circuit will stay on and run your battery down. If you dont use the 12 watt audio the 1/2 watt speaker plugs into the small square 2 pin plug on the back. Its the same plug that the micor speaker uses. The biggest problem with the CVC is the pins move and fail to make contact with the portable. They used aircraft wire to keep the control arm from shifting.
Hope this helps
Fowler
OK, I was able to get some free keys from our local Moto dealer so I'll have to try a new key while I have the unit apart. I see the control arm you were referring to. If it becomes probelematic, I'll probably leave the radio in much of the time.

As far as the wiring, I should reiterate that I don't have any wires or cables for this. My question was in the abscence of a multi connector, which pins could I solder wires to for the power leads. However, if the MX and MT are the same, then I can be governed by the MX wiring diagram which tells which pin numbers (1-17) to use for each wire.

The only speaker I have is one of the Moto non-amplified mobile speakers in the white case, though that wiring is simple enough.

Will the unit work without a mic? I don't plan on using it for TX while it's in the CVC.

Thanks for your info, I'll keep you posted.

Adam
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Adam
You are correct the pinouts for the MX will work the same as the MT500 CVC. If you could find a junk micor cable (black plug) its the same plug. Just have to cut it from the cable and wire it up per the MX diagram. I used to have a pin removal tool for those pins. (Lost over time....). If you do find a 12 watt speaker with the plug attached you"ll be set, just need to add the power wires if they aren't already there! The unit will work without the mike for RX only. The 1/2 speaker uses the volume control on the walkie. The 12 watt speaker uses the volume control on the CVC.
Good luck

Fowler
KC5AEE
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
racerman1cars

Post by racerman1cars »

I think I have an Mt-500 CC 12 watt amplified speaker with the black power connector. If you are interested I will go to my storage to locate it!
Steve
Steve Humphreys
KG4JNQ

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”