XTS5000 OUT OF RANGE

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jack

XTS5000 OUT OF RANGE

Post by Jack »

Someone brought in an XTS5000 with a problem I haven't seen before. The radio is programmed appropriately and is active on the system. I checked to make sure that it had a digital ID and all that, and it does. Anyways, what's happening is that every once in a while I get an out of range indicator. It will not go away until I turn the radio off and then back on. Even then, it's hit and miss. When it IS in range, I get an RSSI of 148 (I'm right by the tower). It's got all the appropriate control channels in it, and I went over those 3 times just to make sure. I even removed ALL of them except for the one close to me and I still intermittently see this problem. In addition to this, I've loaded what I know to be a good working codeplug on the radio and I still see the issue. I'm wondering if you all might have an idea of what's going on.

model: H18UCF9PW6AN
Flash: 540008-000482-4
Einstein

Re: XTS5000 OUT OF RANGE

Post by Einstein »

Jack wrote:Someone brought in an XTS5000 with a problem I haven't seen before. The radio is programmed appropriately and is active on the system. I checked to make sure that it had a digital ID and all that, and it does. Anyways, what's happening is that every once in a while I get an out of range indicator. It will not go away until I turn the radio off and then back on. Even then, it's hit and miss. When it IS in range, I get an RSSI of 148 (I'm right by the tower). It's got all the appropriate control channels in it, and I went over those 3 times just to make sure. I even removed ALL of them except for the one close to me and I still intermittently see this problem. In addition to this, I've loaded what I know to be a good working codeplug on the radio and I still see the issue. I'm wondering if you all might have an idea of what's going on.

model: H18UCF9PW6AN
Flash: 540008-000482-4

I would give the radio a complete alignment. It just could be on the fringe of locking the ref. osc.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

At this time I'm making use of a loaned 800 mHz Astro Saber 3 that's programmed with digital trunked systems. With the radio on and the antenna removed I get that OUT OF RANGE reading, too. In my case it has to mean no signal/lack of signal. Anyway, I tell you this FWIW.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Wouldn't be the first time that an antenna or even the antenna connector went south (since everyone uses an antenna as a carry handle). Program up a receiver to listen on one of your simplex channels and play with the antenna to see if your hearing poping when tx'ing.

Other than that, I would agree on an alignment.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Jack

Post by Jack »

This one is off to the depot already. We'll see what happens. Alignment didn't do it either. Very strange. Can't wait to hear what they say about it...
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Did you crack it open and check for water damage by any chance?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Jack

Post by Jack »

Yeah everything looked fine. It's very strange. One minute it would be fine and have an RSSI of 148 and the next minute, zero. The only way I could get it to receive the control channel was to walk over to the tower and be right by it. Even then, it would get an RSSI of 5-10. Once I turned it back off and back on again, RSSI of 148 for a short time and then back doing the same thing. Everything was clean inside.
Einstein

Post by Einstein »

Jack wrote:Yeah everything looked fine. It's very strange. One minute it would be fine and have an RSSI of 148 and the next minute, zero. The only way I could get it to receive the control channel was to walk over to the tower and be right by it. Even then, it would get an RSSI of 5-10. Once I turned it back off and back on again, RSSI of 148 for a short time and then back doing the same thing. Everything was clean inside.

We will see if the depot can find an intermittent, hopefully not returning the unit stating it could not find any problem.
RKG

Post by RKG »

Pj wrote:. . . (since everyone uses an antenna as a carry handle) . . . .
I beg your pardon.
cbus

Post by cbus »

Einstein wrote:We will see if the depot can find an intermittent, hopefully not returning the unit stating it could not find any problem.
That problem is an easy fix if still under warranty, pull out the controller board and pop it in a microwave for 2-3 seconds :o then pop it back into the radio and send away. hehe

Disclaimer :- the above is for educational purposes only 8)
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Too obvious.

Take a variable power supply set to 20-30VDC. Connect voltmeter probes to + and -. Find the biggest chip you can, ground a random pin, and drag the + lead around the rest of the pins. When the ammeter jumps and a small wisp of smoke appears, you have likely induced a "catastrophic failure".

Of course, this is only thinking out loud. I would never recommend actually doing this. Not even if you're sending the blasted thing back for the fourth time for some intermittent failure that's causing you major problems but that the quality technicians at $MANUFACTURER can never seem to recreate :evil:.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”