PR1500 Narrowband QCII Audio Cutting Out

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Captain1091

PR1500 Narrowband QCII Audio Cutting Out

Post by Captain1091 »

I have a PR1500 that is set to receive on 154.4300. Currently the transmit is 158.8500 but will be changing to narrowband in the near future (I do not know the exact frequency yet but it will be something like 151.1375 to follow the county's plan.) The receive will remain the same as this our dispatch frequency for paging.

I was changing some settings and moved this channel from 25 to 12.5 spacing anticipating the change to see what would happen. The voice audio quality sounds fine and transmits on the system fine, however when tones are received the audio completely cuts out and the tones cannot be heard. As soon as voice starts it is back to normal.

We have other narrowband channels already on this county system that function fine, but are not used for QCII tones.

Is there something I can change or try? Do you think when dispatch actually changes it will be different (although still 154.4300) or is this a product of narrowband? BTW, the tones are anywhere from the 800-1985 range. Lower tones like 564.7 were able to be heard.

Thanks. I know this is a real general question, just looking for any input.
Zack08

Re: PR1500 Narrowband QCII Audio Cutting Out

Post by Zack08 »

The deviation on the QCII tones is probably too high for narrowband, and its exceeding the bandwidth of the filters in the radio.

Theres probably not much you can try. They might turn the deviation down on the tone encoder when they switch over, but I'd just switch that channel back to wideband for now.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”