Astro25 CPS will not run on XP Pro

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Astro25 CPS will not run on XP Pro

Post by Fuel4300 »

Since I have had no luck with getting Astro25 CPS to communicate with any radios while running Windows 7 (see other threads in this sub-forum) I decided to dust off my copy of XP Pro and do a dual boot.

The CPS installs on XP with no complaints as you would expect however when I run it I get "The system cannot find the specified file" then the CPS welcome screen, then the same error message again, then a crash. Oddly enough the tuner runs fine.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the CPS with no luck. I tried versions 13.00.01, 13, and 9 - all giving the same error.

I have seen this once before when trying to start the CPS after install but before doing a restart but the restart fixed it. Not this time.

I checked out all of the program folders for the CPS and as far I can tell everything appears to be in the right place.

Any ideas?
Einstein

Re: Astro25 CPS will not run on XP Pro

Post by Einstein »

Try doing a file search for anything related to the ASTRO software, sometimes there is still files remaining on the system after an un-install. Delete those and then re-boot.
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

I deleted all of the left over files from the de-install, cleaned the registry, gave it a restart, installed CPS, restarted, and still no luck.

I even went so far as to reformat that partition, reinstall windows, install important updates, restart, install CPS, restart, and nothing....
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

That error you are getting is because the CPS can't see a com port. Plug in a USB programming cable, or a USB to serial adapter and then try launching the CPS.. The error should go away.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

I plugged in a radio on a usb cable, let windows install the drivers, and CPS started with no problems!

Thanks a ton!
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Not a problem... Glad to hear it's up and running.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

It would be nice if the error message actually said something meaningful like 'No Com Port Detected'. At least that would have pointed me in the right direction instead of 'cannot find specified file' which basically means nothing.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I take it that what this means is that even if your machine has a serial port then Windows 7 does not/cannot see it?

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Windows 7 should see a standard com port just fine, assuming it's got proper drivers and all that.
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

Just to be clear, in my case, this computer is a laptop with no serial port.

My guess is since this was a fresh install of Windows never having seen a programming cable or USB-serial adapter, the CPS failed to see a com port because Windows had not yet 'created' one.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Correct, and it still happens to my serial-port-less desktop unless I have a radio plugged in before starting the CPS.

Return to “Radio Programming”