Motorcycle Installs

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mruwave

Motorcycle Installs

Post by mruwave »

Haven't seen much on this subject, and I know there's got to be a lot of expertise in this area here.
I recently bought an '06 ex-police Electra-Glide. Love the bike, and Harley provides special harnesses for the radio, siren and lights. I have the manuals for the bike, including the Harley harnesses, but I can find NO information about what radio/siren would mate to these harnesses. I hope to install a pair of radios (one commercial and one amateur) on the bike, but I think it would be advantageous to know what radio the harness is for. Since this is my first experience with attempting to install radios on a bike (I've done installs on cars, trucks and aircraft for a long time) I would appreciate some guidance and/or pictures of typical motorcycle installs.
Thanks in advance! - Jim
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Re: Motorcycle Installs

Post by abbylind »

The MC Spectras are already set up for the bike. There are two power cables on the radio. You"ll need a radio box behind the solo seat. They are on eBay. Finding the correct control head bracket might be a tough one. The Yaesu FTM-10SR is a great ham radio for a scooter.

Ive got a bunch of VHF MC Spectras if you are looking. (No power cables or speakers)

Fowler
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
hb9dod
New User

Post by hb9dod »

Hi there

I own a new HD FLHTPI 2008. The provided Harley Harness is for a whelen Siren which is mounted on the left saddle bag rail..

It comes with a microfon for the Public Amplifier. The Socket is located just below your speedometer..

Harley does not provode any Radio harnasses but PVPcom does.. You can find a lot of technical Information including schematics on pvpcom.com

If you have any questions let me know.. I mounted a GM360 Motorola on the bike...

Tom
HB9DOD
mruwave

Post by mruwave »

Wow!! What a vault of information on the pvpcom.com site!!! Gives me lots of ideas for configuring MY bike. I have several GP300s and M1225s for the commercial radio. Was thinking about using my FT-50 as the amateur side, and I was planning to use the hole for the AM/FM for a mixer/control panel. I want an AM/FM as well, and I was looking at buying the Secret Audio system (secretaudio.com). I could easily put the guts in a saddlebag and the control panel on the dash.
Eventually I would like to have an AM/FM, commercial two-way, amateur VHF/UHF, a bluetooth interface for my cell phone, and full duplex wireless intercom for it, all using the same headset. I purchased a 'Blue Ant' wireless headset system a year or so ago, and I REALLY like it. It works great between bikes (myblueant.com).

Again, Thanks for the leads.
WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Post by WCHija »

I have an FTM-10R on my VStar with a bluetooth headset in my helmet. The FTM has am/fm stereo buit in and a line in option to plug in an mp3 or whatever else you want. YOu can also operate the radio in vox or ptt mode using a blue tooth helmet kit.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”