ML900 GPS location, preinstalled antenna?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

ML900 GPS location, preinstalled antenna?

Post by Pj »

Are all ML900's preplumbed for GPS (wire to the latch antenna) or is that not present when ordering non-GPS equipped units?

Just curious if the one I picked up actually has the module or not (too many screws to get to the other side of the motherboard without wrecking something!)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
mwb1129
New User

Re: ML900 GPS location, preinstalled antenna?

Post by mwb1129 »

Any Luck on this?
Pj

Post by Pj »

I found out that one of mine did. The best way to tell if it is (or was) is to count the RG174 wires to the display. Remove the plastic cover between display hinges. I haven't seen a non-wifi ML, but I am sure they are out there. 1 cable is for the datatac antenna, two are for the wifi, and #4 would be for the GPS. The wifi cables are black and thinner than the datatac wire. GPS is also a thin black wire.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
mwb1129
New User

Post by mwb1129 »

Is that the only way to tell if the ML900 has GPS installed? I have the option in my BIOS to turn it on, and the antenna on the lid of the Laptop itself but I'm not sure. I just recently bought this laptop off of ebay and the seller was unsure also.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Just by the antenna cable going to the display. The large black lock is standard on all the ML900. This is where the gps antenna (in the black latch) would be. Externally you wouldn't know the difference.
mwb1129
New User

Post by mwb1129 »

ah ok. I am just not that experienced to take it apart to look for the wires. I would end up breaking something LOL. Hmm....
Timeport
New User

Post by Timeport »

Sorry, but that is the only method you can use to determine if your ML900 has GPS or not. It takes only 2 minutes and 3+2 (remove the display hinges only) screws to find out the truth :-)

FYI:

Integrated GPS in ML900 (I have the NOA and P4 versions) is most of the time completely useless and it´s obsolete. Sensitivity is very bad and you need kind of luck to get FIX. This usually happens when you have reallyyy clear sky, no buildings, no tress, a lot of free space along you...

Buy some external Bluetooth GPS with integrated battery and you are fine. I´m using Qstarz Bluetooth / USB GPS. Works great.
free Motorola ML900 drivers: http://motorola-online.com/pages/motoro ... ged-laptop

Motorola ML910 spare parts (incl. HDD caddy): http://www.motorola-online.com/pages/mo ... overs-etc.

Please visit my Motorola collection at http://www.motorola-online.com.

OS on ML900s:
Win XP, SuSE Linux (internal HDD), Slax Linux (USB stick), Windows XP Embedded ( USB HDD inside), Win 7 Professional.

OS on ML910s:
Win XP and Windows 7 Ultimate
Pj

Post by Pj »

I've found that if you go into the GPS settings and enable most of the options it will do pretty well on the open road. Recently had mine on the passenger seat of a rental car and it kepts a signal lock the entire time. Now the same laptop in my truck on the front seat it didn't do too well.

An aside with that...I get a really good lock with it sitting on a bed in the guestroom of my inlaws house on the second bed (and not in front of a window). Go figure.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”