Extend range of wi-fi reception

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

Extend range of wi-fi reception

Post by arlojanis »

I have a new laptop with built-in wireless internet. It works good in some rooms, but does not work good in the room I use most often. I do not have access to the wireless router. Is there a wireless repeater or another way to extend wi-fi reception?
"The world runs on radio."
Bill_G

Re: Extend range of wi-fi reception

Post by Bill_G »

There is such a thing as a wifi range extender. Draw upon your Google Fu. Tons of them out there from well known companies at attractive prices.
chrismoll12

Post by chrismoll12 »

Wifi range extenders/repeaters are made by just about every wifi router company.
You can get them from $40 to $100
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

If you run some cabling from your main router to another area or two other areas and put accesspoints there you could roam between them if they all have the same SSID. I do this with my setup at home, and although a little more advanced, I have it that way at my job as well.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
chrismoll12

Post by chrismoll12 »

Interesting you don't has access to the router.
So does this mean your taking wifi from your apartments or neighbors wifi ?

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”