NMO Drilling

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KG4LHQ

NMO Drilling

Post by KG4LHQ »

Will I really notice that much of a difference if I drill a hole in my trunk compared to using a trunk lip mount?
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: NMO Drilling

Post by FireCpt809 »

Yes. much better ground plane. Less electrical interference noise because the mount is physically grounded to the body, not 2 small screws.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yep. Man up and drill a hole. Really, it doesn't hurt your resale value (I traded in a truck a while back with 12 holes in the roof - they didn't care) and it makes a difference in performance - especially on lower frequencies like VHF.

Oh, and center of the roof is better than the trunk... less noticeable, too.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

And, not to beat the subject to death, but if you can gain access to the underside of the roof or trunk you're using then use a Greenlee 3/4 inch hole punch. Nice, clean hole with no burrs, and you'll have complete control of the process as it proceeds, with no drill jumping around in your hands possibly messing up the paint topside once you get the 3/8 inch pilot hole drilled.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
KG4LHQ

Post by KG4LHQ »

This will be going on a 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS trunk is open in the center

Can I get one of those antenex hole cutting saw bit and will do the trick?
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Yeah, and if you start from the bottom side of the trunk its less noticeable if you screw up. Just drill the pilot from below and then finish from the top.
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

Chassis punches rule..... use the smallest drill just to get the punch through then off you go..
good luck and tom i dont think that you are beating it to death... more people should use them... makes for a cleaner job... yes yes i know that if you are in a shop you need to get out many vehicles a day to keep your boss happy..
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”