Battery not charging message on truck after install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mx350

Battery not charging message on truck after install

Post by mx350 »

Hi, I just installed a Ham Radio in my 2004 Chevy Silverado Truck we used a fuse tap when I start the truck I get this message "battery not charging" it goes away right after I start the truck and I do have the radio off when I turn the radio on It shows about 14.5 volts so the alternator is working the fuse I'm using is for a rear window wiper which is not installed on my truck it has a 15 amp max I do have 2 15 amps fuses installed on the fuse Tap. The black ground wire is attach to a 10mm head bolt that is under the driver side aera by the OBD-II port Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Battery not charging message on truck after install

Post by FireCpt809 »

The body computer must be seeing a draw on startup. What im assuming is that you want the ham rig to go on and off with the key? My Suggestion is to run the power to the battery with a fuse. Then if you want to still have it on and off with the key, is to wire in a 30a automotive Relay using a source that is on the igition circut as the trigger for the relay the relay only needs Milliamps to trigger.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

+1 for the relay suggestion. Fuse taps are bad news anyway, and using one for primary radio power is just asking for trouble.

I did a wacker light install in a guy's Silverado pickup not too long ago, and with a little bit of fiddling I had the whole driver's-side fuse panel out and disconnected. From that point I was able to trace individual fuse positions back into wires on the harness and tap as needed. In his case I used the main power bus coming from the under-hood distribution center, but he wanted always-on. For you, I'd recommend using the radio fuse after verifying that it switches on and off with ignition.
mx350

Post by mx350 »

Thanks for the help I think that you are right the fuse I'm using is for a rear window wiper and my truck don't have one it's for the Chevy Suburban it looks like GM has the same wiring for the Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. The unused fuse that Chevy installed has a rating of 15 amp the radio can only draw 8.5 amp max I’m 6.5 amp under the Chevy oem rating also I do have the fuses at the positive and negative leads. I also did hook it up to a code reader and it shows no error also I found this on Gm engineering center “For ONE-PIECE TRANSCEIVERS where ignition switch control is desired and no SEO wiring exists, a 12 Volt power contactor must be installed in the transceiver positive lead. The contactor should be located near a proper 12 Volt feed. The coil of the contactor should be connected through an appropriate in-line fuse to an available accessory circuit or ignition circuit not powered during cranking. The contactor coil must return to a proper negative point” not sure about the contactor coil

Thanks
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Fuse on the negative lead is another no-no. I'll never understand why the Japanese feel the need to put them there, but what you run the risk of doing is popping it and having the radio find DC ground through the antenna cable. If your primary positive is fused, you're plenty protected.

"Contactor" is just tech-speak for a relay. GM is telling you to do the same thing FireCpt809 suggested.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

motorola_otaku wrote:Fuse on the negative lead is another no-no. I'll never understand why the Japanese feel the need to put them there, but what you run the risk of doing is popping it and having the radio find DC ground through the antenna cable. If your primary positive is fused, you're plenty protected.

"Contactor" is just tech-speak for a relay. GM is telling you to do the same thing FireCpt809 suggested.
Unfortunately, there is a reason:
Fuse on the negative lead prevents the radio being a ground path for the vehicle/starter when the radio is tied directly to the battery ground.

The proper answer is no fuse on the ground side, and the ground side attached to a good frame or chassis grounding point. However, most "installers" just run them both to the battery...
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Good installers use a chassis ground. I always use my own ground with a sheet metal screw ring terminal and a star washer. Trucks usually get it in the passenger kick panel high enough it doesnt get kicked or full of salt from the winters here.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

tvsjr wrote:Unfortunately, there is a reason:
Fuse on the negative lead prevents the radio being a ground path for the vehicle/starter when the radio is tied directly to the battery ground.
Hah. Yeah, with the battery-chassis ground on most cars these days being a little piece of #8 or #10 wire I guess that could be a problem, huh? :lol:

When I did dude's Silverado I used a factory chassis ground buried up under the driver's side of the dash.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

motorola_otaku wrote:
tvsjr wrote:Unfortunately, there is a reason:
Hah. Yeah, with the battery-chassis ground on most cars these days being a little piece of #8 or #10 wire I guess that could be a problem, huh? :lol:

When I did dude's Silverado I used a factory chassis ground buried up under the driver's side of the dash.
Now you know why I have 1/0 grounds to multiple points.

And yes, I've seen a vehicle start through a radio - not pretty!
mx350

Post by mx350 »

Thanks for all the help the radio is a YAESU FT-8900R I will see about changing the wiring around

Take care

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”