Need help setting up Astro Spectra with Astro Saber AVA.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Elighting
What radios do you own?: Kenwood and Motorola.

Need help setting up Astro Spectra with Astro Saber AVA.

Post by Elighting »

I have a 100 watt W9 Astro Spectra with a VRS(EP, if it matters to you), that I am trying to set up to interact with an Astro Saber AVA unit. I am putting this in our brush truck as it goes off the mountain a lot and sometimes is the only radio that can get out in the valley. With that, I wanted to add a VRS so you don't have to be at the truck at all times. What I am having trouble with is what wires need to be hooked up from the AVA to the VIP port on the head? The radio and AVA were used together in their previous life, but it also included a siren in the mix too. The AVA is basically only being used to make the system idiot proof for both keeping the Saber's battery charged and to turn the VRS on automatically. The AVA won't have a microphone or really even the speaker hooked up. This would be the equivalent setup as the mobile charger the Jedi series with the VRS option.

To break it down, I need to know what pin from the DB25 on the AVA hooks to what pin of the W9 VIP port and how the Spectra needs to be programmed so when the Saber is pulled out the VRS turns on. I know how the power wires are hooked up on the AVA,just not the DB25.

Thank you.

Jordan,TCFD
Jordan.
Elighting
What radios do you own?: Kenwood and Motorola.

Re: Need help setting up Astro Spectra with Astro Saber AVA.

Post by Elighting »

A slight update, found an installation manual today. Found what pin the VIP 1 out is, but now, should the switch logic be active closed or open and which wire coming out of the DB-25 on the AVA does VIP 1 connect too?Thanks.

Jordan,TCFD
Jordan.
wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

Re: Need help setting up Astro Spectra with Astro Saber AVA.

Post by wa8iqo »

Came across this old post tonight. I am getting ready to do the same project and require the same information. Any way anyone can forward the information to me?
Brad - WA8IQO

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”