Ativirus Recommendation, AVG, Avast or BitDefender

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

markrunbox
New User

Ativirus Recommendation, AVG, Avast or BitDefender

Post by markrunbox »

Hello. Since I installed this on windows 7 5 free edition avast.

What do you recommend? It remains to 5 Free or install Avast AVG Anti-Virus 2011 (1 year license bought) or BitDefender Antivirus 2011 (1 year license purchased). Of these three that I recommend AV?

PC: Intel Dual Core e2200 OC 2.7
4 GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia 9400GT 1GB
500 GB HDD

Thank you in advance.
mike m

Re: Ativirus Recommendation, AVG, Avast or BitDefender

Post by mike m »

Avast for me, AVG slowed mylaptop down to where the delay from a mouse click to a response was several seconds. Avast is orders of magnitudes faster.

Also when I went to uninstall AVG, it refused to uninstall plus AVG also installed a bunch of other crap that i didn't want.

I haven't tried BitDefender only because Avast works fine for me.

Mike
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

AVG used to be good until it went bloat. Avast works pretty well... and I hate to say it but Microsoft Security Essentials works pretty good as well.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

A second for Microsoft Security Essentials. They actually have something going for them with that software and it doesn't slow down the PC.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I haven't used AVG, Avast, or BitDefender....

The Microsoft Security Essentials works pretty good (surprisingly!). I've also heard some really good things about Kaspersky (sp?) being very good.

Symantec Endpoint protection will slow your system(s) to a crawl and I'd rather clean up a virus than deal with that program anyday.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Kapersky is decent but I found it to give false positives occasionally. I manage Endpoint on my network currently and when it screws things up I threaten to set my boss's head on fire. Not only does it get caught up and re-report the same "cleaned up" infection over and over again, but on my file server it enables it's "network protection" module which systematically takes my file server offline to the users. And when the billing department starts their day at 5am sometimes that is an awful wakeup call to receive.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

tuckerm wrote:A second for Microsoft Security Essentials. They actually have something going for them with that software and it doesn't slow down the PC.
Thirded. I use it along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on my personal stuff, although the latter isn't really necessary if you have a good popup/adblocker plugin installed on your browser (and don't use Internet Explorer.) I've used AVG before and agree that it's become really bloated and ineffective in recent incarnations.

We use Symantec Endpoint Protection at my job, and while it does work as advertised it is also bloated and extremely resource-hoggy. My work PC is essentially useless for the first 10-15 minutes of the day while it does its stupid startup scan, and useless to the point of needing a restart when it runs LiveUpdate daily after 5:00 PM.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

I use Comodo Internet Security Premium (it's free from http://www.comodo.com ) on a Dell laptop running 64 bit Windows 7. I've never had any issues with it at all.
Dave

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”