Power Supply

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Max

Power Supply

Post by Max »

Can anyone tell me if i could use a 12v wall wart for a MCS2000 for RX only.If so,how many amps/milliamps would i need.

Max
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: Power Supply

Post by Josh »

Max wrote:Can anyone tell me if i could use a 12v wall wart for a MCS2000 for RX only.If so,how many amps/milliamps would i need.

Max
A wall wart typically won't work. You need a filtered, regulated power supply. They aren't all that expensive. 12v and about an amp should do the job for RX only.
maxkelley_kc2spy
What radios do you own?: XTS2.5K-Q, ASpectra, MT2K

Post by maxkelley_kc2spy »

If you can find a switching 12v power supply in wall-wart form, those are generally pretty well regulated, and will work okay. Again, about an amp to two amps would be best if you can find it.

The issue with the regular old bricks is, like Josh said, they're unregulated, which means that without a load, the voltage on a 12v brick can go, say, up to 18v or so, which is getting close to unhappy territory for the radio.

Generally, the unregulated bricks are made to be the rated voltage at the rated current for the particular application. Pressing it into service in different applications, other than what it was intended for, may or may not work.

Good luck to you!
Max Kelley KC2SPY
http://www.maxkelley.com
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q
Will

Post by Will »

Max wrote:Can anyone tell me if i could use a 12v wall wart for a MCS2000 for RX only.If so,how many amps/milliamps would i need.

Max
12 to 13.8 volts DC regulated at up to 1.3 amps capability.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”