XPR6550 Poor Rx

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pump3

XPR6550 Poor Rx

Post by Pump3 »

Anyone experience poor rx with trbo portables? when I play with the the antenna it has some effects, with the antenna that came with my portable I have very poor rx, but if i bend the antenna slightly it improves, when I replace the trbo antenna with a regular Moto VHF wideband antenna it works fine, has anyone experienced any issues with the portable antennas? no signs of cold solder joints inside.... Thanks
gopher

Re: XPR6550 Poor Rx

Post by gopher »

when you bend it does the rx get better like flipping a switch or is it gradual ? its possible its a bad antenna or your hand is improving rx. my uhf 6550 came with a stubby antenna which was quite deaf, replaced with the normal full height antenna, made a big improvement.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

There wasn't a service bulletin about it, but I do recall they had to redesign the TRBO VHF antenna as they were prone to breaking internally at the bottom of the antenna. We had to swap out our first VHF TRBO customer's antennas a few years back because of this. Perhaps you have one of the bad ones.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Its with repeaters that are almost LOS, they'll be about half scale and and if i put pressure on the antenna, its like flipping a switch and the RSSI scale will be full on the screen, radios not even a year old bought it from escomm
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

We've got about 50 of the 6550's in the field and haven't had a RX problem like you describe. Make sure you've got the correct antenna. Word from our radio shop is these radios are rather sensitive about the correct antenna for the XPR series. All of our channel frquencies fall within the 147-160MHz range so we run part# PMAD4068 on ours.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”