Mototrbo system

Moderator: Queue Moderator

johnny1225

Mototrbo system

Post by johnny1225 »

I have a very large Hotel complex that has two towers. (1) towers is approx 65 stories and the (2) tower is approx 40 stories. They would like to go digital with a XPR8400 Repeater capacity plus and XPR6550 Radios. This system will be UHF. My question is what is the best and most professional way to penetrate the (2) tower because the two towers are not attached. Would IP Site connect be a good way to go or would it be better to point a antenna to the second tower like a folded dipole? Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

regards

John
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Mototrbo system

Post by Tom in D.C. »

If I were in your position I would opt for getting professional advice as to how to accomplish best results with a TRBO system.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

What have they got right now, and how satisfied are they with coverage?

Tall buildings are a vertical tunnel with a lot of attenuation. A simple distributed antenna system generally does the trick for a small downtown reinforced concrete structure. Losses and cost add up quickly when you try to drive more than two hundred feet of feed line. Where system design becomes difficult is providing coverage for the surrounding campus, ancillary buildings, parking garages, underground service tunnels, and mechanical levels with adequate capacity for the number of personnel and departments the customer requires to support their facility.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

johnny1225 wrote:I have a very large Hotel complex that has two towers. (1) towers is approx 65 stories and the (2) tower is approx 40 stories. They would like to go digital with a XPR8400 Repeater capacity plus and XPR6550 Radios. This system will be UHF. My question is what is the best and most professional way to penetrate the (2) tower because the two towers are not attached. Would IP Site connect be a good way to go or would it be better to point a antenna to the second tower like a folded dipole? Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

regards

John
That's a perfect application for Site Connect. However, you cannot link repeaters in a Site Connect configuration if you are using Capacity Plus. It's one or the other. With the use of talkgroups in conventional digital, you can have groups share the load across the two time slots and essentially replicate trunking in that respect. That's the way I would go for your situation. You will need another repeater frequency pair for the second repeater, of course. You will need distributed antenna systems for both tower repeaters to achieve good coverage.

You may want to engage the ACES group at Motorola to help you with this. On top of that, read the TRBO system planner where it pertains to IP Site Connect. I have a Motorola produced slide show that I could send you which goes into very good detail on the various TRBO configurations, including lots of CPS screen shots of the various programming fields in the radios & repeaters. PM me your email & I'll get it to you.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RF_Burns

Post by RF_Burns »

You didn't say how close the towers were, but I'd consider installing each repeater at the mid-height of the opposite tower, on the same side as the opposite tower and Site Connect them together. Use a folded dipole so the vertical radiation angle is high. You could use a small point to point wireless bridge to connect the sites together and not worry about getting a hardwired network connection. Each repeater would be covering the opposite tower through the side walls (mostly windows)

Its easier to penetrate through the side wall of a tall building than to penetrate multiple concrete floors
johnny1225

Post by johnny1225 »

can you tell me about this small point to point wireless bridge? That means i don't need ethernet cable plugged into each repeater?
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

2.4GHz or 5.8GHz unlicensed point to point wireless radios manufactured by any number of manufacturers. Lots of companies make this sort of gear, Tranzeo Networks is one I've used with good results, though not with MOTOTRBO.

If the hotel has wired network infrastructure between the two towers and you can use that from where you plan to install the repeaters, that's what I'd go with. Get the IT guys to give you a dedicated VLAN for the TRBO repeaters and an Ethernet port at each repeater.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Or you could contact your local Motorola Dealer who you will be buying the equipment from anyway, and they have the expertise and the knowledge base to configure a system for you that will work for your needs. Chances are good that you aren't the only customer in town that is doing this, and they have probably already installed different configurations for those other customers and can correctly advise you on what you need.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”