AS3 band change project questions, please

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

AS3 band change project questions, please

Post by JRUTA »

Ok, so I'm trying to put this all together after reading as much as possible. My goal is to change my 800mhz non-working Astro Saber (Fail 01/82) to a basic VHF one that works. I do not know the host/firmware/dsp revisions, I bought this particular AS3 purely because of it's condition (New-with error) knowing full well it's going to be a toy project for me. Always loved the Sabers.

So here's where I am, and here are my questions:

- The radio itself should arrive today
-I'm actively looking for a VHF rf board
-I believe all the VHF's use the same rf board? (models 1,2, and 3)
-I've read up on disassembly/re-assembly proceedures

A Few questions to start, forgive my ignorance, as I've read as much as i can- and can digest, however some things aren"t entirely clear:

- "Fail 01/82", I understand this is probably from having the radio programmed to the wrong band in the first place, although there are other possible causes? and whatever the cause, is this fixable via a new codeplug? if so, how is that accomplished?

- Once I have the radio re-assembled, comes the band change to the vocon, I have read conflicting things on how this is accomplished. One says I'll need an "S-record" from a VHF radio, and the other says the band change can be accomplished by simply forcing a VHF codeplug into the radio (and that it will require a complete alignment afterwards) Which method is accurate??? as I'm not sure I can obtain either. I have been using the same MSS owner for years, so we are "friendly" and he has always been great in the past- but this is an older radio, so I don't know if he'll have the s-records, coedplugs, and such.

-Im confused as to things such as needing a host/donor radio with matching serial number/Model number to do this, as I do not have access to things like that. are those things required? or is that simply to duplicate/clone an existing radio?

- Assuming I have gotten this far, comes the question of "flashes" and/or firmware upgrades. Will a MSS still be able to provide these things for my radio? I'm looking for basic things like digital ID, although modat would be cool, just for the "kewl factor" seeing it was one of the few radios that were capable. but ideally, I simply want a narrow band complaint, conventional Saber.

- Hopefully I'm correct in assuming all Astro Sabers are narrow band compliant, and splinter channel capable? (meaning on 512/ 1 meg vocons)

- I probably have many more questions, but thanks in advance to all.

john
motorola_otaku

Re: AS3 band change project questions, please

Post by motorola_otaku »

JRUTA wrote:I believe all the VHF's use the same rf board? (models 1,2, and 3)
Correct.
"Fail 01/82", I understand this is probably from having the radio programmed to the wrong band in the first place, although there are other possible causes? and whatever the cause, is this fixable via a new codeplug? if so, how is that accomplished?
01/82 means the codeplug data is corrupted, long story short. It can also be caused by a physically defective VOCON. Some background info on how it got to 01/82 would be helpful.. did you buy it that way or did you do it yourself?
Once I have the radio re-assembled, comes the band change to the vocon, I have read conflicting things on how this is accomplished. One says I'll need an "S-record" from a VHF radio, and the other says the band change can be accomplished by simply forcing a VHF codeplug into the radio (and that it will require a complete alignment afterwards) Which method is accurate???
They both mean the same thing: you need an unpacked codeplug or s-record and MTSX or Astro Lab RSS. Your MSS friend won't be able to help you with either as neither are supposed to exist outside of the Motorola factory. S-records can be had by politely asking in the Codeplug Information forum but you're on your own for the software.
I'm confused as to things such as needing a host/donor radio with matching serial number/Model number to do this, as I do not have access to things like that. are those things required? or is that simply to duplicate/clone an existing radio?
See above. All the "donor" radio does is supply the s-record. Be advised that when you do a s-record program you will copy that radio's serial number as well.. which is why you see "tags do not match" radios being sold here and on eBay.
Assuming I have gotten this far, comes the question of "flashes" and/or firmware upgrades. Will a MSS still be able to provide these things for my radio?
No. Once you use Lab to "create" a radio it will forever and always be a bastard child. The depot won't support it and you can't order flashes for it. However, fully-loaded "whore" flashed s-records are fairly common and easy to find.
Hopefully I'm correct in assuming all Astro Sabers are narrow band compliant, and splinter channel capable? (meaning on 512/ 1 meg vocons)
All Astros do 2.5kHz narrow-band deviation. 2.5kHz channel spacing didn't come until after HOST version 5 IIRC. The VOCON size is irrelevant here, except of course that 512K boards can't go higher than HOST 5.

Good luck in your endeavors.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Thank you!

This begins to give me a better picture. No- I did not do this- I bought it this way, so I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding the codeplug issue. So essentially, if i can find the correct (vhf) codeplug, after installing the new VHF rf board, I can simply force it into the vocon? (assuming there is no vocon damage) Or does this still require "something other" than what a MSS can provide? (cps) to accomplish. I now understand that it cannot be given a firmware update, or flash upgrade, as it will no longer be considered a "legit" radio. So I'm guessing my best bet is to find the best flashcode i can obtain, and try that?

Just to make sure I'm on the right track:
1. Install vhf rf board. 2. Obtain VHF codeplug with best flash possible (save to disk/USB drive?). 3. Have MSS shop force codeplug into radio- after reading codeplug/flashcode? (i do not have cps/RIB)

Sorry if this sounds simple-minded, I've only programmed HT series before.

Thanks,
John
Will

Post by Will »

The difficult part is a full alignment is required to match the VHF RF board.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Thats where I'll be relaying on the MSS for sure.

J
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Ooops- "relying"
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

YES!!! Got my AS3 radio today! Its flash says it has Digital ID (thats probably what i wanted most) and multikey software encryption (I'm not even sure what that is) The battery is dead, and I dont have a charger yet, so I'm not sure of any other specs. But WOW! this thing is BRAND NEW!! Lol, I might be late to the game, but I'm finally here! Now to find a Vhf rf board......
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

If it's the radio I am thinking of, it's been on e-bay for over a year. No one wanted to take a chance on it, good luck. Let us know how you made out and how you did the conversion.
JRUTA

Post by JRUTA »

Yup, that'd be the one. I didn't mind the price considering it's condition. and its fun project (I think) Gotta say, it certainly looks pristine- inside and out. I just swapped rf boards with another member, now just waiting for my vocon "fix" to vhf.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”