Getting Filtered Audio out of a Astro Spectra for a tone rmt

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W1HVN
What radios do you own?: MX300 w/DVP

Getting Filtered Audio out of a Astro Spectra for a tone rmt

Post by W1HVN »

Anyone with a service manual who can provide the pin functions/assignments on the 15 pin accessory connector of the Astro Spectra and/or Astro Spectra Plus?

Thanks. Looking for PTT, Mic Hi/Lo, and Squelched/Filtered RX Audio. COR a plus if it has it (no pun intended)

Connecting the radio to a tone remote term panel, in our case a 1548A Motorola.
Last edited by W1HVN on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will

Re: 15 Pin Connector Functions on Astro Spectra Plus

Post by Will »

Much the same as the Spectra.

Mic is there and PTT is too but rx audio is not.
Dash or remote mount radio?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Some of the functions of the accessory connector will depend on internal jumpers.

When we have had to interface to this radio for interoperability, we generally have had to open up the radio and move several jumpers around to provide fixed RX audio and external PTT. Mod requires the control board be removed from the radio as the jumpers are on both sides of the board. The are all surface mount jumpers that are zero ohm.

Jim
W1HVN

Post by W1HVN »

Ok so same as regular Astro Spectra. I thought there might be some similarities with XTL pinouts, no such luck apparently.

While we're on this topic then, anyone know what jumper on the As Spec moves output audio on pin 11 (if memory serves) from unsquelch detected to filtered squelched?

Thanks.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86092

RX audio is muted/de-emphasized on all of the regular Astro Spectras I've done this to. On the one Astro Plus I tried there was no RX audio at all, but that could have been my work. VRS TX should behave like a COR line.
Will

Post by Will »

motorola_otaku wrote: RX audio is muted/de-emphasized on all of the regular Astro Spectras I've done this to. On the one Astro Plus I tried there was no RX audio at all, but that could have been my work. VRS TX should behave like a COR line.
A added jumper on the control head to command board interface brings the RX audio out the back connector.
W1HVN

Post by W1HVN »

After following the guidance provided on this thread, and associated threads of yesteryear, we got the following results on two seperate mid power radios:

1. When configuring JU 519 and 528 for Filtered audio (discriminator audio) as in the table above, NO audio was passed out of pin 11. Returning it to stock brought back unfiltered detect audio (unsquelched)

2. Then tacked a lead to pin 5 of P502/J502 (the 38 pin connector coming off the control board that the interconnect board plugs into when in dash mount config), which is supposed to be filtered audio as well. With the above jumpers in both configurations, we got Detect Audio (unsquelched audio). This was the case with the two jumpers in either configuration as well. We tried all possibilities, as you can see.

WHAT ARE WE MISSING??

This is for the purpose of connecting an Astro Spectra to a Motorola 1548A Tone Term Panel (or any tone panel for that fact)

Thanks again.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Check your email.

Jim
W1HVN

Re: Getting Filtered Audio out of a Astro Spectra for a tone

Post by W1HVN »

Will, Jim, etc...

The problem ended up being something simple and overlooked. So happens for whatever reason, both radios had the "HUB defeats PL" option enabled for the radios. No mic was plugged into the radio when we were testing, and as such no audio came through unless the mic was grounded and plugged in. When the option was disabled through CPS, the radio reacted just as advertised. So in summary, make sure it is unchecked and if it is, make sure you plug a mic in!

Thanks to those who assisted, and hope maybe this post helps someone in the future.
W1HVN

Post by W1HVN »

Okay. Revisiting this thread for a new project. I'm looking to take a high power W9 Astro and pull Filtered Audio, PTT, Mic High, Ground, Programming serial data +/-, that would normally be present on the rear 15 pin of a mid power through jumpers, etc.

When jumpers are moved as per this thread, where will the output signals be pulled out of?

I'm going to want to interface an L3208 junction box for MC3000s to it.

Here is a link to that thread.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101663

Basically, want to do this mod in this thread to a high power deck.

Thanks.
Will

Post by Will »

On the High power W9, the filtered audio IS already on the second DB25 connector on the radio chassis. So is Mic Hi and PTT.
W1HVN

Post by W1HVN »

That's perfect. If anyone has a PDF of the page with the pinout for the db25s on the high power deck please advise.

Thanks.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

This should be it, since the rear head uses that plug: http://batlabs.com/images/durchns.gif
W1HVN

Post by W1HVN »

Thanks! Interesting it shows detect audio in that schematic and rx audio from pin 7. Havent tried yet, been bogged down with "stuff". Hopefully very soon I will begin to play. Thanks so far to those who contributed.

As a side question, if I can interface the 3208 and mc3000s from the secondary db25, do I still Need to run the main control head off the primary db25 or do I need it for power up signal?

Happy Turkey Week to all.
Will

Post by Will »

The W9 will require the control head be connected to the primary control head connector.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”