XTS5K RF Adapter

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KI4RGV
What radios do you own?: ASpectras/XTS1500/5K/XPR6550

XTS5K RF Adapter

Post by KI4RGV »

I plan on pricing out some XTVA's this weekend at the Orlando Hamfest. Someone gave me an RF adapter (NTN8327B) so I wouldn't have to search for one. Well, this morning I put it on my VHF XTS5K. I lost all reception. I couldn't trip any of the local ham repeaters. My question is, if the radio is out of the convertacom or has the PS mic off, should the little RF connector be removed as well? I noticed a lot of the local sheriffs deputies leave theirs on (w/o the shoulder mics) and don't seem to have any issues hitting the towers.

This is my first time playing with this. Any ideas?

Peter.
Peter R. Pisano, W4PRP
Fort Lauderdale, FL
resqguy911

Re: XTS5K RF Adapter

Post by resqguy911 »

Assuming you have the antenna screwed onto the top of the RF adapter, either the plunger is stuck in the "in" position or it's just plum broken. Did it also have the white insulator on the bottom connector, and is the center pin present in the top connector?
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
KI4RGV

Post by KI4RGV »

Well, I cannot say if it is broken or not. It was a brand new one in the plastic baggie. My buddy had extras. He even gave me a wrench with a red handle to screw it on so I don't have to fiddle with the little one ir comes with. Yes, I had the VHF antenna on it. What do you mean the plunger may be stuck in the "in" position?

I really hate sounding stupid ... LOL

Peter.
Peter R. Pisano, W4PRP
Fort Lauderdale, FL
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Hi Peter. When the 3000/5000 is in the XTVA, there is a small plunger in the RF adapter which routes the RF to the mobile antenna on the car. When the radio is in your hand the RF goes straight through to the HT antenna. This plunger so to speak chooses where the RF goes, depending on the location of the radio. [In the XTVA, or in your hand] This plunger might be stuck so the RF can't go to the HT antenna. See you in Orlando. GARY N4KVE
Last edited by N4KVE on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
KI4RGV

Post by KI4RGV »

Oh, I see where you're saying the plunger goes in. I guess I have a bad part. I will see if I can try it with another one. Thanks for the feedback. Mods, I guess you can close this thread. If it remains open, I will update once I get another one.

73, and I see you guys in Orlando!
Peter R. Pisano, W4PRP
Fort Lauderdale, FL
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

I have gotten bad ones right out of the bag in the past.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by KI4RGV »

Replaced it. It was plain ol' bad. Right out of the bag.

Thanks for the help guys!

Peter.
Peter R. Pisano, W4PRP
Fort Lauderdale, FL
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Peter,

I am bringing an XTVA to Orlando. Stop by my swap table in the last building.

Marshall

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”