DES Saber and Astro

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Enzo86
New User

DES Saber and Astro

Post by Enzo86 »

Hello

New to the board and had a few questions. I have five saber iii's with a des module VHF. I just got a astro saber that does
Not have a crypto board. I would like to only use my astro but can the des modules for it talk with the analog ones in the saber iii's ?

Thank you
Jason
kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Re: DES Saber and Astro

Post by kotaguchi »

Welcome to the board.

Yes.The Astro Saber will work with the Saber VHF III if you are transmitting and receiving in the clear with the Saber III but if you have the secure switch enabled,no.
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
Enzo86
New User

Post by Enzo86 »

So no way to do secure between a astro saber and saber iii's?
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Enzo86 wrote:So no way to do secure between a astro saber and saber iii's?
Yes, if you purchase & install a DES board in the Astro radio. GARY N4KVE
Enzo86
New User

Post by Enzo86 »

Does anyone know the model number for the astro des module, and does it require any codeplug changes to activate?
JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Post by JRUTA »

AS DES module # NTN1652, I believe- Hopefully other member will correct me if wrong, Just have to make sure your Astro Saber is operating in analog mode (in order to talk to your analog Sabers) with secure enabled, of course. (I too am new at this, but trying to learn from the greats on this board!)
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Do you have a keyloader? In order for them to all talk together in a secure mode they must be keyed the same prior to use.
If you don't and they don't have keys loaded you will get a key error when you attempt to transmit a coded message.
Enzo86
New User

Post by Enzo86 »

Yes I have several KVL's that I have been using on the Saber III's without trouble. Just wanted to see if I could get my Astro working in secure mode with the Saber III's

Thanks,
DPL

Post by DPL »

Check out http://www.akardam.net/moto/docs/mirror ... odules.pdf
This is a great list of secure modules created by a member here. There are several astro saber modules that do des. I have an ntn1153 in one of mine.
AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

Post by AL7OC »

Don't forget that old Securenet products have a 20kHz bandwidth. The old CVSD modulation scheme used in non-P25 products won't be narrowband compliant for Part 90 Land Mobile in the USA. P25 running DES/AES variants is fine regarding BW.

PL
Pierre

AL7OC

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”