Saber II Core 6D MURS Programming Isue

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sabersco
What radios do you own?: Saber III, HT1250, XTS5K, APX

Saber II Core 6D MURS Programming Isue

Post by sabersco »

Hi everyone!

I have 4 Saber securenet version II model H43QXJ7139N VHF and I wanted to program for MURS frequencies,

I was able to program my radios with 151.820MHZ, 151.880, 151.940, 154.600, 154.570 on My 386 (all cache disabled) computer without an issue.

The problem I am having is that none of the radios will not transmit and receive on the 151.xxx channels. When transmitting I do ear a long beep while pressing the PTT. And when I use my radio generator from my Marconi 2955 they would not open squelch.

I tried programming one radio to frequencies from 146 to 163MHZ (Limit Allowed by rss) in 500 KHZ interval and test for both TX and RX with my radio test set. I find out two dead spot for TX and RX : the radio will not transmit from 149.00 to 152MHZ and from 157.500 to 159.500. All other upper, middle and lower frequencies work fine! RX dead spot are about the same range. +- 500KHZ.

I tried creating a new radio personality from scratch with minimum option activated it did not resolve the Issue, I tried the RSS version R05.0.0.instead of version R07.01.00 no luck.

Also reading the radio will not give any error and the read freq are the one I did program.

I’ve looked in the forum and on the web with no luck

What could be wrong???
PLZ HELP!!!!

My radios in deep info are as read by the RSS with original codeplug:

Core : 6D
Cope : 5C
DVP version : 3
Core patch ID : 02
Cope Patch ID :00
2K memory
146-162 MHZ band split
sabersco

Re: Saber II Core 6D MURS Programming Isue

Post by sabersco »

Hi I just find out what was going on !!!!!!

I disassembled two radios and I found out that the FDS , the PA , the Synth and the two pole filters module were all 136-150MHZ band split part number .....

I guest that the previous owner changed the model number in the RSS and this is why they would read 146-162 MHZ band split ...... I will use the crash CORE programming technique to put em back to the correct band split !!!!

Hope it helps someone
Thanks anyway to this great forum !!!!
Ken.Adams

Post by Ken.Adams »

Are these radios all from the same source? It's possible that you have 157-174 MHz radios with a 146-162 codeplug forced into them. If you are not 100% sure that the radios have not been tampered with in the past, I'd start by opening one of the radios and checking the part numbers of the modules. The easiest way to tell which bandsplit you have is to look at the PA - the part number should be NLD8122x if it's a 146-162 radio.

You can find information on the part numbers that should be in the radio here:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... index.html
sabersco

Post by sabersco »

Thanks for the reply Ken, yep they were from same source and forced 146-162.......

If I take component (PA, Synth,FDS and 2 pole fiter) from a Saber I 146-162 band split and install them in my Sabers II . Would that make those Saber II working within that split since the core already programmed that way even if part are from a Saber I core 5 ? For sure I will have to re-align the radio completely.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

I would only point out that a Saber cannot provide the 11.25 KHz bandwidth of the 151 MHz MURS US channels, don't know the Canadian standards.
Ken.Adams

Post by Ken.Adams »

To move from 136-150 split to 146-162 using all the correct parts, you'd basically be replacing every module except for the reference oscillator and the receiver. (Don't forget the 5-pole filter.)

It would work, but I doubt that it would be worth the effort unless you already have a pile of these parts lying around.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Find someone with Range II parts and swap. The Range I split is desirable for ham use.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

The synthesizer is the big hurdle, it ill never allow use outside it's range, and the F.D.S and LPF will also cut off frequencies above the designed bandpass, as they are designed to do.
What NLD# is your PA as well? There are several highband modules for use here, such as the NLD8773, NLD8122, NLD8123 and NLD8121.
One version is the 2 watt variety, while the others are high power but band limited. The NLD8773 is for the 146-162 range.
I would have to refer to my service manuals for this radio to provide the exact frequency spread for each of the PA modules.
Suffice it to say, allthe modules work in the amateur band, and a meg above, but not the entire VHF band up to and including the upper end MURS channels.
Your sythesizer must be changed. The refereance oscillator does not, nor does the receiver module, BUT, you must check the filter on the bottom of that module.

You do not need to swap receiver modules, only the filter attached to the bottom of it, then locate the proper band split for the F.D.S and LPF 5-pole and reprogram/align, and you should be set.

The 6D CORE gets you options the 5D core does not, but it is not the holy grail either.

Check my offering in FS/FT: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 56#p458068
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

You could also try changing the model number from H34 to H33 and then seeing if it opened up the range. This is suggested on the batlabs writeup which you might find helpful.

www.batlabs.com, then go to Model Specific Information and click on Saber I, II, III.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”