NTN5835 in Saber

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc2tgd
What radios do you own?: APX/XTS/XTL/Quantar

NTN5835 in Saber

Post by kc2tgd »

So, I got an NTN5835 DES-XL module for my Saber III. When I got the radio it had an NTN5834A DVP-XL module in it.

I removed the DVP module and put the DES module in it's place. I have a T3011DX KVL, but I dont have an "official" cable. I got a connector for the back of the saber from a busted speakermic, moved the pins around, and added jumper wires to them to plug into my Spectra cable.

When I put the adapter onto the back of the Saber the screen says Keyload, and when I press the PTT on the KVL, what sounds almost like a squelch tail comes from the Saber and the keyloader beeps and says "FAIL 0".
I bought the DES-XL module tested and working, dont know what else could be wrong. The keyload cable is hooking up as per the T3011DX manual, and I don't have another secure saber to test it on.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Eddie
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Re: NTN5835 in Saber

Post by NSPD »

I have multiple NTN5835x modules in use in both standard and systems sabers, they work fine.
Jake
sabersco
What radios do you own?: Saber III, HT1250, XTS5K, APX

Post by sabersco »

Hi Edie ,

Did you programmed and saved keys in the KVL ?

When KVL finishes booting or if you press enter if you get 0 ErASEd message on screen this indicates that key memory number 0 is empty.

If that is not you issue you can also verify your cable with the diagram on this web page : http://www.kwnet.net/n7qqu~/motorola-in ... .html#keys

hope it helped
kc2tgd
What radios do you own?: APX/XTS/XTL/Quantar

Post by kc2tgd »

I have key 0 programmed into the KVL, the rest are erased. Would Securenet have to be enabled somewhere in the Saber RSS, like with the Astro radios? I did not see an option, but when reading the radio it says "Priority Securenet Detected".

I dont think that this module being a "SmartNet" module would be an issue, the old module that was in there is also a "SmartNet" module.

The cable ohms out correctly, unfourtantly I don't have another secure Saber or Astro Saber to test the cable on.

I know this should be in the For Sale/Wanted forum, but I cant post there for some reason. Does anybody want to sell me a proper KVL to Saber cable (and possibly a Spectra cable)? Contact off-board eschnel@clemson.edu
sabersco
What radios do you own?: Saber III, HT1250, XTS5K, APX

Post by sabersco »

Hi , Ive found this information In my SM :

c. Radio Will Not Keyload(SECURENET radios only)
(1) Verify that the correct keyloader is being used for
the particular type of encryption present in the
radio. Refer to the following chart:
(2) Replace the SECURENET module, U900, with a
test module having the same kit number. If the
problem persists, continue troubleshooting.
(3) (a) Check that U900, pin 9, =5Vdc.
(b) Check that U900, pins 15 and 18, =7.5Vdc.
(c) Verify that activity is present on pins 6 and 11
of U900 when the radio is turned on.
(d) Check that the KEYLOAD line (U900, pin 5)
goes low when the keyloader cable is
attached to the radio’s universal connector. If it
does not go low, suspect a bad cable or an
open between pin 10 of the universal connector
and pin 5 of U900.
(e) Check that the WRITE ENABLE line (U900,
pin 7) momentarily goes low while attempting
to load a key. If it does not go low, suspect an
open between pin 5 of the universal connector
and pin 7 of U900.
(f) Check that there is data applied to the
KEY/FAIL line (U900, pin 16) while attempting
to load a key. If no data is applied, suspect an
open between pin 9 of the universal connector
and pin 16 of U900.
(g) Check that there is data applied to the KEY
INSERT DATA (KID) line (U900, pin 4) while
attempting to load a key. If no data is applied,
suspect an open between pin 11 of the universal
connector and pin 4 of U900.

In the RSS someone corect me If I am wrong there are only:
Deactivation of the secure switch (option h244) wich must not be enabled ...
Also Make sure that H432 is disabled it only used for DVP and no encrytion module installed
H400 and H401 must also be disabled .....
You also need to enable the XL mode per chanel basis .... so if you use XL enable it on the channels you need it.

Hope It helps !!!
mike m

Post by mike m »

The 3011 DX will not work with an analog saber.

The dx model only works with Astro radios such as an Astro saber an XTS3000 or XTS5000 but it will not load a regular saber period.

This has been covered here years ago in past threads, I use a DX for XTS models only plus I use an older BX and CX models with non Astro products.

Mike
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

what?

a dx will certainly work with an analog saber....

as the ax > bx > cx > dx life progressed of the T3011.... backwards compatibility was an ABSOLUTE MUST...

d
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
mike m

Post by mike m »

I know I just realized after I sent the reply I f'd up.

I have a old T3020 and was trying to load a saber III that had dvi, wrong encryption sorry.

I know I went thru this exact same issue with the correct des module a T3011DX and an analog saber about 5 years ago but I can't find notes on what I did to resolve it.

EDIT:I remember my issue now and it was similar to his above, I think my problem was with ther setup with the T3011DX KVL.

Here is what my problem was: I could load XTS3000's with the T3011 with a DX prom in it and the Motorola KVL to XTS cable but I couldn't load an analog saber with the same KVL with the DX chip and a correct confirmed working saber to KVL cable.

However I could use the same KVL to saber cable and load the saber fine but only when I swapped the DX prom with the original CX PROM.

In fact in my case since this was with the same KVL, T3011, and since we were just swapping the CX and DX chips to troubleshoot things and since this was for a federal customer who was using sabers and XTS3000's at the time, I wasn't allowed to spend a lot of time on it so we used the T3011 with the CX chip for the analog radios and bought a KVL3000 for the other customer XTS3000 radios.

I don't think I ever figured this problem out since we eventually dumped our 3011 KVL for the 3000's.

Anyway here's the link to the defacto encryption article.

And I just found this analog saber in my collection, if I could come across a 3011DX some day then I may revisit this problem, it still make s me wonder what was going on with this radio.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... PQ1aTAQlUg
batdude

Post by batdude »

interesting author of that article...

;-)
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
mike m

Post by mike m »

I should have mentioned your name when I posted the link,sorry.

I haven't looked at that write up for a couple of years now, when you wrote it did you have all of the modules, keyloaders and radios to actually play with or were some of the photos supplied by others ?

I used to have a collection of the old mobile and avionics single key and even some early OTAR encryption boxes, both Motorola and GE in most algorithms but I tossed most of them years ago, looking back I wish I had them now if for anything, just as conversation pieces.
batdude

Post by batdude »

most of that stuff i actually used... but most of the pics came from others here on the board (and google)

can't believe it's been so long ago...........
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”