Radio tourture

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Radio tourture

Post by Pj »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOvhJKOUStM

Enjoy!

Beats Motorola light rain shower at IWCE
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Re: Radio tourture

Post by mikegilbert »

Damn!
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Pj wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOvhJKOUStM

Enjoy!

Beats Motorola light rain shower at IWCE

Not trying to be a skeptic, but it would be nice to see the results of the immersion testing of the radio in about 2 weeks after it was done. Most radios will survive being dunked and still work. But the damage will be done over time if any moisture managed to get into the guts.

i can remember when I was working as a bench tech up in New Hampshire a number of years ago. About 20 to be exact. Anyway, one of the ski areas brought in a Motorola portable that had been dropped into one of their water wells at the start of the season. About 2 months later, they managed to pull the water level way down and found the radio laying at the bottom. They fished it out and brought it into the shop. Naturally the battery was dead. We put a fresh battery on it and fired it up. It worked to specs on RX, but enough silt had got into the PTT switch that it wouldn't TX. Opened up the radio, cleaned the silt out from around the rubber gasket and it worked just fine. We found no indication that any moisture had managed to get inside the radio after being submerged at the bottom of the well for about 2 months.

So time will tell as to just how well the Liberty radio will perform after it has been given time to see if any moisture will get into it. They are built well to seal out the elements. The case is rugged. It might show some signs of hitting the solid ground, but the case survives. Can't say the same for most of Motorola's portable radios. The material used in the case is not very forgiving. This might be the fork in the road between companies not paying attention to the end users. These companies are more concerned with ripping them off for expensive replacement parts that won't stand up.

Jim
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I see the last drive-over test damaged the radio. The speaker went raspy. I guess they aren't indestructible.

I suspect the APX XE Delta-T models are even more rugged.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Hold on, let me get out an Astro Saber-R . . . . . lol
JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Post by JRUTA »

Run over by an 8.5 thousand pound Hummer and still working? Damn! My AS3 would probably be a pancake, never mind raspy sounding. Lol.
N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

Post by N6LAU »

The drop from the roof of the building seemed to phase it a bit. They had to play with the knobs a bit to get the audio going again and it looked like the display went blank. All in all a very entertaining video to watch though. :lol:
Joe - N6LAU
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

They didn't try to blend it though!!!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”