Astro Spectra W3 "Y" cable diagram

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Astro Spectra W3 "Y" cable diagram

Post by WV8VFD »

Does anyone have a copy of a y cable diagram? I dont mind buying one, but if I could build one, it would save me some money.

Thanks.
Tyler Lewis
motorola_otaku

Re: Astro Spectra W3 "Y" cable diagram

Post by motorola_otaku »

Note that the pin assignments on the radio connector are completely different than a HKN4356, so if you're using one of those as a starting point you'll need to cut it off and solder your own on. Also pin 8 is duplicated.. need to ohm out one of my cables to verify which one is correct.

Digi-Key and Mouser stock the same AMP DB25 hoods used on dual-Spectra/SIU cables if you want to keep the factory look. Part # is 5745833-7.
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

Thanks, greatly appreciate it. May give it a try, may just buy one. Is it safe to connect the HHCH directly to the radio for testing purposes?
Tyler Lewis
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

WV8VFD wrote:Is it safe to connect the HHCH directly to the radio for testing purposes?
Problem there is, with a 110W radio you have no way to get ignition sense to it without the cable. On a mid-power radio, sure.. plug it in the front and pop your DB15 into the rear accessory for ignition sense and speaker audio. I'm sure you could get creative with a breakout box or a DB25 gender-changer hood just to get the head on the radio for power-up testing, but keep in mind that pins 5, 14, and 23 are the SB9600 data bus and need to be kept twisted and shielded.
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

D'oh. I realized that as soon as I posted the message. Been around the HTs for a while now. This is my first venture into /\/\ mobiles.
Tyler Lewis
k5hdm
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Lots

Post by k5hdm »

motorola_otaku wrote:
WV8VFD wrote:Is it safe to connect the HHCH directly to the radio for testing purposes?
Problem there is, with a 110W radio you have no way to get ignition sense to it without the cable. On a mid-power radio, sure.. plug it in the front and pop your DB15 into the rear accessory for ignition sense and speaker audio. I'm sure you could get creative with a breakout box or a DB25 gender-changer hood just to get the head on the radio for power-up testing, but keep in mind that pins 5, 14, and 23 are the SB9600 data bus and need to be kept twisted and shielded.
I have actually made up an adapter for the high power units where you plug your ignition sense and speaker out into the left port and plug the control head into the right and it works great!
-Harmon - K5HDM
http://www.k5hdm.com
Solo
New User
What radios do you own?: Astro Saber, Astro Spectra

Post by Solo »

Is there somewhere that the diagram above can be downloaded? I tried to save the image but no worky.

Also, can ANY Astro Spectra use the W3 HHCH? This looks like a better option for me than the other heads, and they are coming more available than they used to be.
Solo
New User

Post by Solo »

Does anyone know what the wire gauge is for the Y cable?

I have the radio mounted in the trunk, but the car isn't that big, so I have half of the Y cable looped, and it's in the way. I also need to break out the speaker leads to connect to an amplifier that's also in the trunk. I would rather make a new cable than cut the original, but want to make sure it's heavy enough.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Solo wrote:Is there somewhere that the diagram above can be downloaded? I tried to save the image but no worky.

Also, can ANY Astro Spectra use the W3 HHCH? This looks like a better option for me than the other heads, and they are coming more available than they used to be.

Right click on the image and then select "save image as" and it will allow you to save it as a .png file. Then you just double click on the file you saved to open it. Just remember where you saved it.

Jim
Solo
New User

Post by Solo »

What about the wire gauge? Any idea?
Will

Post by Will »

Solo wrote: snip I also need to break out the speaker leads to connect to an amplifier that's also in the trunk.
Amplifier? You do not want to connect the speaker leads to an amp. Spectras have a bridged audio output stage that can and will be damaged. The radio will have plenty of output, upwards of 10 watts, use the 8 ohm speaker.

Wire gauge, 22 or 24 for the lines other than speaker and IGN leads..18 ga. Use proper shielding as indicated on the diagram.
Solo
New User

Post by Solo »

Actually, I DO need to connect to an amplifier, a Unitrol 80K that drives the 100 watt speaker under the hood. Any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks for the wire gauge info.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Solo wrote:Actually, I DO need to connect to an amplifier, a Unitrol 80K that drives the 100 watt speaker under the hood. Any ideas how I can do this?

He thought you wanted to hook it up to an audio amplifier which I admit I thought the same thing. A siren amplifier is different and many people have hook it up to those. Just remember if you accidentally ground out the speaker lead(s) while the radio is on....poof goes the audio circuit, so I have been told.
Will

Post by Will »

Solo wrote:Actually, I DO need to connect to an amplifier, a Unitrol 80K that drives the 100 watt speaker under the hood. Any ideas how I can do this?

Then you use the Filtered Audio out pin 6 or 7 on the right connector. FA is NOT affected by the radio's volume control.
Solo
New User

Post by Solo »

I should have been more clear about what kind of amp I had in mind.

Is FA the + line for the speaker? Then just hook up the other lead to SPKR - ?
Will

Post by Will »

Solo wrote:I should have been more clear about what kind of amp I had in mind.

Is FA the + line for the speaker? Then just hook up the other lead to SPKR - ?
Filtered Audio is line level. Use a 2.2 uF capacitor + side to the radio on the Filtered Audio line.
Connect to the Unitrol 80 on the blue blade connections for 'speaker'. The other side, 'spkr' is grounded at the radio.

The Unitrol has a transformer input.
Solo
New User

Post by Solo »

Ok, I'm kind of lost here.

Is FA 6 and 7 on the 15-pin? Making them 24 and 25 on the radio? Which one gets the capacitor?

Since I have to make the harness for the 80K, it looks like I go to pins 1 and 5 on the amplifier from FA, and it doesn't matter which goes to which? I really regret losing the original tech manuals that I used to have for Unitrol stuff!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”