dead smartrib

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gopher

dead smartrib

Post by gopher »

so i got a hot deal on a used smart rib - as is no returns. Of course pop in fresh batterys and it does not appear to power up. So.. any on board fuses or caps or anything i should be checking ?
WB6DGN

Re: dead smartrib

Post by WB6DGN »

Of course pop in fresh batterys and it does not appear to power up.
Its been a long time and my mind may be playing tricks on me but, as I recall, the SmartRib doesn't use a battery. If I remember correctly, it uses a 21volt (or thereabouts) wall wart as its only power supply. Maybe, since I retired, they've come out with a later version but I think I'd be checking that out. Kinda makes me think that that may not be a SmartRib???
Tom
grosengr
New User

Post by grosengr »

The standard RIB uses a wall wart that has the center pin (+) positive, the Smart RIB uses one with the center pin (-) negative. Leave it to mother M to chance things. We use 12V 500mA for both with each power supply and RIB labeled is to what goes with what.

Jerry
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

WB6DGN wrote:
Of course pop in fresh batterys and it does not appear to power up.
Its been a long time and my mind may be playing tricks on me but, as I recall, the SmartRib doesn't use a battery. If I remember correctly, it uses a 21volt (or thereabouts) wall wart as its only power supply. Maybe, since I retired, they've come out with a later version but I think I'd be checking that out. Kinda makes me think that that may not be a SmartRib???
Tom

Many of the older interface cables took power form the radio to run the RIB. You need to look at which radio your going to use the RIB with.

The real new radios don't use the RIB. These programming cables have a built in level translator. You plug one end into the USB port of the computer and the other end directly into the radio.

Jim
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

gopher wrote:so i got a hot deal on a used smart rib - as is no returns. Of course pop in fresh batterys and it does not appear to power up. So.. any on board fuses or caps or anything i should be checking ?
gopher, you said batteries (plural) not battery (singular). The SmartRib did have an optional AA battery pack that screwed on to the bottom (RLN4488), and plugged into the board with a short cable. I can't find the schematic, but it shouldn't be hard to trace the lines from the power and see if there is a picofuse in line somewhere.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
gopher

Post by gopher »

yeah.. Its got a ton of AA's on the bottom. Im gonna putt it all apart when i get the work area cleaned out..
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

the smartrib is wired backwards for power, the center pin is negative and the barrel is positive so id check that somebody didn't cross that up and plug the wrong wall wart into it at some point?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Will

Post by Will »

Time to change the ext power jack to center POS, like most everything else.

I remember they run on 5 volts internally and 9 volts should work and 13 volts max.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Will wrote:Time to change the ext power jack to center POS, like most everything else.

I remember they run on 5 volts internally and 9 volts should work and 13 volts max.
Only if you want to blow out everything. The SmartRIB is center pin NEGATIVE. IIRC there is a protection diode in the power supply input circuit for reverse polarity protection.
Dave
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

The factory original SmartRib wall wart is 9v 700ma, center pin negative.

A 12 volt or so one will work just fine. The reason its negative center is because the internal electronics are POSITIVE GROUND. Do NOT attempt to turn this around unless you are very confident your power source is not common to frame. Also, make sure the AA pack is polarized correctly also.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”