Portable to modify or change over

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

eportel6607
New User

Portable to modify or change over

Post by eportel6607 »

Hi guys,
I need some opinions on some portables. We have been using the GP300s since 2000 and with this new system that we are building I would like to do a narrow band conversion to our existing GP300s..if it's cost effective and when purchasing new radios buy something that is narrow band compliant.
I am a big fan of the GP300 because of: size, durability, inexpensive to purchase, inexpensive accessories, offers every option that we need including DTMF case and offers a 8 and 16 channel model (and 2 channel but that won't work for us).
The only thing that I don't care for on the GP300 is the bi-pin speaker/mic connector...although if it was mounted on the side of the radio it would be better (and the hold down clip helps) I think it would be better if our next radios had a side mounted screw down accessory connector but this isn't a deal killer.

Ok with that said I would like to have some opinions on the replacement radio for our GP300s.
I've considered the HT750, GP380, P1225 and some others.
The requirements are:
Adjustable power output per channel
Capable of having a DTMF pad option
MDC1200 signaling
At least 8 channels

We have tons of accessories for the GP300...I'm assuming that none of the newer radios will use any of the accessories that the GP300 uses..but if so let me know.

I've herd a lot of negative feedback on the newer GP series radios. Can anybody shed some light on the GP, HT, and P series radios? Maybe what Motorola intended users or what the letter destination stands for and the intended use (public safety, commercial, etc.) I did just notice that the GP380 has the stun feature which could be really nice if a radio of ours was stolen or missing.
What about programming these newer radios. Do they require RSS software that is Windows based or DOS based?
Any opinions and experience with any of the P, GP, or HT series radios (especially if you've used the GP300s) would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Satelite

Re: Portable to modify or change over

Post by Satelite »

Hello eportel6607
The GP300 even though motorola did supply a narrow band conversion kit for is probably not cost efective to do and as i understand it would NOT be type acepted as narrow band compatible because it didnt come from factory as narrow band .
So i have been reading and hearing anyway.
You didnt say whether vhf or uhf GP300 s but i do have the uhf narrow band
GP300 multi ch bds from the factory that you could swap the bds out to get narrow band .
Good luck
satelite
d119

Post by d119 »

Satelite wrote:Hello eportel6607
The GP300 even though motorola did supply a narrow band conversion kit for is probably not cost efective to do and as i understand it would NOT be type acepted as narrow band compatible because it didnt come from factory as narrow band .
So i have been reading and hearing anyway.
You didnt say whether vhf or uhf GP300 s but i do have the uhf narrow band
GP300 multi ch bds from the factory that you could swap the bds out to get narrow band .
Good luck
satelite
Satelite is correct. Modifying the radio in this manner will render its type acceptance invalid, and violates FCC rules. Unfortunately it's time to upgrade your radios.

Another factor to consider (and there's no confirmation on this), once these older radios are phased out, it will likely become increasingly difficult to locate batteries for them. The GP300 may be exempt from this as it has 800/900MHz counterparts (GTX/LCS), just as the Saber has the ASTRO Saber.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

eportel6607 wrote: Ok with that said I would like to have some opinions on the replacement radio for our GP300s.
I've considered the HT750, GP380, P1225 and some others.
The requirements are:
Adjustable power output per channel
Capable of having a DTMF pad option
MDC1200 signaling
At least 8 channels
The GP380 isn't a North American model, and the P1225 won't do MDC signalling, so those two are out. If you could get your hands on some HT750/1250 radios in decent shape, they would do the trick nicely. You can buy an adapter to continue using your speaker/mics with them, if you wish. Be aware of you get the "LS" version, it won't do MDC. If you get the "LS+", some will do it and some won't, you have to know the model#...I believe the portables need to end with a "7AN" or higher to do MDC.

The PR400 series would also do what you need, and have the same speaker/mic connector as the GP300, except on the side.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

With over 2000 HT-1250's in service, some as long as 10 years the Pro series radio IMO is the best upgrade you can go with. These radios have been in Rail Road service so they have taken their fair share of abuse and still work. If you don't need more than 16 channels or a display the HT-750 is a great alternative. Unfortunately your accessories will not work on them, but the quality of the Pro ones is far better. I know this BS narrow banding is a PITA but we are stuck with it. If you go with the Pro series radios they are good for at least 10 years of service, and are a better buy than the CP, even though they use the same RF boards.
If you are buying used and not using these radios in Public Safety there are programs out there to re-flash the radio to an all conventional with MDC capability. The information is out there in the wild.
The newer GP series 380 etc in not type accepted for the US, don't confuse this radio with the GP-350 which is U.S. but is not usually type accepted for narrow band, you have to get the numbers off the radio and run them through the FCC database.
I don't recommend it but If you really want to go out on a limb, you can just turn the deviation down on your existing radios so you don't become a red flag for the FCC, they are going to be busy enough tracking down interference complaints from bases and repeaters so that they are not going to be looking at portables for some time.
eportel6607
New User

Post by eportel6607 »

I want to thank you guys for the input. I learn a few things from that last few post. This information is very very helpful.
I should stress that these portables are being used as extender portables on VHF itinerant frequencies. They are connected to a lowband mobile radio that is on a repeater. So the portables TX under 1 watt on simplex "channels". I think based on the info that you guys have given me I will go for the HT750. I didn't even know about the PM400...but the cost used seems to be a bit more than the HT750, but it's an option that I didn't know about...so thanks for that. IF I'm going to switch over it's going to take some time. The portables that we carry need to be replaced...AND the extenders themselves. Anybody have any ideas as to what I can replace our custom P110 extender transceivers with? As the extender it doesn't need to have MDC, but it would be nice to have it have at least 4 channels and have the program ability to have different power levels per channel...something the P110 doesn't have.

Regarding using the GP300s right now and changing the deviation levels. Is this done in the RSS under Alignment? If so what can these settings be to make this radio a little more friendly to the narrow band mandate until we can make the switch over. I want to conform to the mandate but right now making a switch over isn't possible right now.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:If you go with the Pro series radios they are good for at least 10 years of service, and are a better buy than the CP, even though they use the same RF boards.
?????
drdog
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, MICOM 2E

Post by drdog »

I'm surprised no one mentioned the HT1000 Radios. The "D" version is supposed to do narrow band & they sell for anywhere from $5 - $75 each so the price can't be beat...I'm not sure about the signalling though. Have not played with one in a long while...
eportel6607
New User

Post by eportel6607 »

Yeah the HT100 is still used by every department that hasn't gone digital yet on our area. It's a great radio that's for sure...it has signaling (every type known) and DTMF pad options...but it's huge compared to the GP300 or HT750...but I might have to let that go because of the price. They are cheap. The HT1000's size is fine for duty...in uniform but to carry it around all the time when your not in uniform is not going to be very popular with our people. We used for years (for the GP300) the Port-a-clip metal radio holsters that we used when no in uniform. It kept the radio tight to your body and out of the way. I'll have to look into this option for the HT1000.

Are the HT1000 and HT750 different generations? Why is the HT75 so much more money?
Chris
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

eportel6607 wrote: Are the HT1000 and HT750 different generations? Why is the HT75 so much more money?
Chris
Yes, they are different generations...the HT750/1250 essentially replaced the HT1000 and is still a current production radio, which is why the 750's bring more on the used market. The HT1000 is a great radio, but the design is now 20 years old & even the newest units out there are close to 10 years old. They are no longer supported by Motorola for repair, and accessories tend to be quite a bit more expensive.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

drdog wrote:I'm surprised no one mentioned the HT1000 Radios. The "D" version is supposed to do narrow band & they sell for anywhere from $5 - $75 each so the price can't be beat...I'm not sure about the signalling though. Have not played with one in a long while...
A B & C versions also do narrowband. They just don't do 2.5KHz steps.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

When you get down to the board level they are the same CP&HT CM&CDM. With the right LAB you can make them anything you want. Our 25 watt CDM 1250 work fine with CM boards.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:When you get down to the board level they are the same CP&HT CM&CDM. With the right LAB you can make them anything you want. Our 25 watt CDM 1250 work fine with CM boards.
I'm not sure what you mean...PHYSICALLY the Professional series boards are completely different from the Commercial series boards, both in the portable & mobile. One will NOT fit into the casings of another.

Now, if you're talking about forcing Professional series firmware & codeplugs into a Commercial series, or vice versa, and have them not end up as doorstops, I'll have to defer to others as I've never even thought about trying it.

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:When you get down to the board level they are the same CP&HT CM&CDM. With the right LAB you can make them anything you want. Our 25 watt CDM 1250 work fine with CM boards.
This doesn't make sense. At the board level, they are completely different boards. Can you show me a picture of what your CDM1250 looks like with a CM board in it?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”