Motorola Saber Take Apart

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

zoulas
New User

Motorola Saber Take Apart

Post by zoulas »

Hello, can anyone direct me to an article that outlines how to take apart a Saber? I am having a problem where the audio seems to cut in and out, the transmit is fine. I tried a new codeplug and no difference. I googled this problem and a few people mention perhaps a loose cable inside. Not real sure how to take it apart (the right way). If anyone has a web site url or if someone can give me some feedback as to the audio problem, that would be great.

Thanks Aristotle, W2ZOU
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Motorola Saber Take Apart

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Here you go:

1. Remove the battery
2. Attach the antenna to the radio.
3. On the bottom you will see two rather large screw heads. Loosen them but don't allow them to fall out.
They shouldn't fall out because they are captive screws. A screwdriver may work, but a two-fingered special
removal tool is much better. These are commonly found in those small, cheap hex bit sets sold at flea markets
and hamfests. A small needlenose pliers will also work.
4. With the screws loose, hold the radio with your left hand but make sure you are not pressing the PTT
button or any other button.
At the same time, grasp the antenna and pull the chassis out of the case slowly.
5. For the record, using the antenna to pull the chassis out of the case is the method recommended by Motorola.
6. When you reassemble the radio, be sure that the gasket at the top of the case is properly seated.

When you get inside the radio, first remove the front shield and reseat the ribbon cable that serves the speaker, as
that might be the cause of the problem.

That should do it. Have fun.
Last edited by Tom in D.C. on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Post by WV8VFD »

The bits are avalible at harbor freight in their 9.99 security bit set. Or you could do like I did and take a cheap flatblad and cut the center out of it on a belt sander.
Tyler Lewis
zoulas
New User

Post by zoulas »

Worked perfect, Thanks a Million.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”