Spectras won't turn off.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

war bird radio
New User

Spectras won't turn off.

Post by war bird radio »

I have six VHF dash mount Spectras with A4, A5 & A7 heads. When powered up with the factory power cable and ignition sense line from the DB15 acc plug tied to 12vdc, the ON/OFF swtich on all the radio don't have any effect. The radios all come on and stay on. The power supply has to be turned off or disconnected.

Interesting thing tho, If I power up the radios but have programming cable plugged into the 15 pin acc jack with ignition sense at 12vdc then the ON/OFF switch on all radios work fine. What's the difference?

Sorry I don't have the model # for the radios handy.

I did a search on this but didn't find anything useful.

John
Jim202

Re: Spectras won't turn off.

Post by Jim202 »

war bird radio wrote:I have six VHF dash mount Spectras with A4, A5 & A7 heads. When powered up with the factory power cable and ignition sense line from the DB15 acc plug tied to 12vdc, the ON/OFF swtich on all the radio don't have any effect. The radios all come on and stay on. The power supply has to be turned off or disconnected.

Interesting thing tho, If I power up the radios but have programming cable plugged into the 15 pin acc jack with ignition sense at 12vdc then the ON/OFF switch on all radios work fine. What's the difference?

Sorry I don't have the model # for the radios handy.

I did a search on this but didn't find anything useful.

John

I have always used the ignition sense on most of my radios. On the other hand there is some jumpers in the control head that can cause the radio to power up when ever it gets 12 volts and doesn't need the external ignition sense feed. You might want to go look in the service manual for the control head information. Then again I can't remember which site it is on, but you might try looking on the repeater builder site and follow the links they provide. The Mike B site has extensive info on the radios.

Jim
kd5ual

Post by kd5ual »

war bird

this sounds like an accessory cable problem
open the connector and see if pin 4 switched B+ and pin 5 ignition sense are shorted together
they should not be and will cause the problem you describe if they are
since the radios work properly with the programming cable

73 kd5ual
wendell
war bird radio
New User

Post by war bird radio »

Ok Wendell I'll try that.
BTW, this is a new old stock accessory cable.

Thanks,
John

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”