Motorola CM300

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SouthernRailFan
New User

Motorola CM300

Post by SouthernRailFan »

I have purchased a Motorola CM300 programmed for "Receive Only" for both wide and narrow band AAR channels and i have a antenna with a BNC connecter that I want to use and also I got a Mini UHF to BNC connecter for the radio and im wanting to know if that will be the right adapter to use so I can use the antenna. Also can the CM300 do the 7.5khz frequency step? Thanks for any information.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: Motorola CM300

Post by HLA »

if it's all recieve only you can adapt it any way you want
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
SouthernRailFan
New User

Post by SouthernRailFan »

Does it have to be a commerical antenna in order for it to work with the radio or can i use my VHF Motorola railscan antenna and it'll work just fine?
sataraid1

Post by sataraid1 »

Any antenna properly tuned for the railroad band and using 50 ohm feedline should work great. An adapter in line won't make or break your reception.

And yes, the CM300 will work with the new channel spacing on the railroad band. I know of several locations where CM-series radios are being used on the railroads already.

HTH
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

If the radio is going to move around a lot you might want to look for someone to crimp a Mini-UHF on the antenna for you.. adapters add weight and stress to the connector on the radio, and they love to snap off if you're not careful. PL259-Mini UHF adapters are notorious for this.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

As long as the antenna you want to use will cover the range of frequencies you want to monitor, and antenna in the range of 150-160 will work fine on the AAR channels.
A group of my friends are all rail fans and did campouts on the UP line near Gila bend in AZ. And many used portables with antennas 'tuned' for use in the 2 M band segment, but worked very well in the 161 range to easily hear the comms from Omaha, as well as the detectors along the route, wih many detectors being heard 15 miles away.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”